1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unified Atomic Mass unit

1. Jun 2, 2006 #1
    Hi guys

I understand that the unified atomic mass unit is defined as 1/12 of the mass of a carbon-12 isotope and has a value of 1.66 X 10^-27kg. Why is this value slightly different with when I use the calculation 0.012/6.02 X10^23?

Why in theory, is the mass of a protn different from a neutron?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2006 #2
    oh dear I realised what I missed out.. but I'd appreciate any help regarding the difference in mass of a proton and a neutron.

I have one more question, given the avagadro's constant, I was told to find the mass of an atom of carbon-12. I took 0.012/6.02X10^23 which gives me 1.99 X10^-26kg but the answer I was given was ^-25. Was there a mistake on my part or the answer is wrong?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  4. Jun 2, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The simple "hand-waving" answer is that protons and neutrons contain different quarks which have different masses. A proton is composed of two up quarks and a down quark. Wheras neutrons consist of two down quarks and an up quark. The exact mass of these quarks are unknow but it is commonly accepted that a down quark is more massive than an up quark.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?