1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Acceleration (cart)

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What type of motion is experienced by a cart rolling down an incline?

2. Relevant equations

m = Δy / Δx

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm just looking for some confirmation. If an object is on an incline and there is no other force than gravity acting upon it, should the object then accelerate down the incline at 9.8 m/s^2 ?

My results are varying from 13 m/s^2 or 12.1 m/s^2

But shouldn't I be getting less than 9.8 m/s^2 ? Because the cart is slightly affected by friction and air resistance (which is supposed to be negligible for this lab).

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

The angle of the incline determines how much of the 9.8m/s2 will accelerate the object.

4. Sep 14, 2008 #3
    Thanks I plan on being an active member; I'm going to need it for this course ;)

I'm have some trouble understand this concept, how can the acceleration be greater than 9.8 m/s^2

5. Sep 15, 2008 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

If the only forces acting are gravity and the forces from the ramp, then I would think that the acceleration would be less than 9.8m/s^2.

Can you show how you got the accelerations of 13m/s^2? (What measurements did you take, and what did you do with them.)

6. Sep 15, 2008 #5
    you have to draw a table and then plot speed/second and as you go from 1 sec to 2 sec you'll see that the cart is accelerating and its even going faster from sec3 to sec 5. ( do you get the picture)

7. Sep 15, 2008 #6
    I was making a novice mistake. My actual acceleration ended up being 1.3 m/s^2. Thanks for the help everyone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?