Accelerating Cart on an Incline: Confirming the Effects of Gravity and Friction

In summary: If the only forces acting are gravity and the forces from the ramp, then I would think that the acceleration would be less than 9.8m/s^2.
G.Sulk

Homework Statement

What type of motion is experienced by a cart rolling down an incline?

Homework Equations

m = Δy / Δx

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just looking for some confirmation. If an object is on an incline and there is no other force than gravity acting upon it, should the object then accelerate down the incline at 9.8 m/s^2 ?

My results are varying from 13 m/s^2 or 12.1 m/s^2

But shouldn't I be getting less than 9.8 m/s^2 ? Because the cart is slightly affected by friction and air resistance (which is supposed to be negligible for this lab).

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
G.Sulk said:

Homework Statement

What type of motion is experienced by a cart rolling down an incline?

Homework Equations

m = Δy / Δx

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just looking for some confirmation. If an object is on an incline and there is no other force than gravity acting upon it, should the object then accelerate down the incline at 9.8 m/s^2 ?

My results are varying from 13 m/s^2 or 12.1 m/s^2

But shouldn't I be getting less than 9.8 m/s^2 ? Because the cart is slightly affected by friction and air resistance (which is supposed to be negligible for this lab).

Thanks

Welcome to PF.

The angle of the incline determines how much of the 9.8m/s2 will accelerate the object.

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

Thanks I plan on being an active member; I'm going to need it for this course ;)

I'm have some trouble understand this concept, how can the acceleration be greater than 9.8 m/s^2

G.Sulk said:
Thanks I plan on being an active member; I'm going to need it for this course ;)

I'm have some trouble understand this concept, how can the acceleration be greater than 9.8 m/s^2

If the only forces acting are gravity and the forces from the ramp, then I would think that the acceleration would be less than 9.8m/s^2.

Can you show how you got the accelerations of 13m/s^2? (What measurements did you take, and what did you do with them.)

you have to draw a table and then plot speed/second and as you go from 1 sec to 2 sec you'll see that the cart is accelerating and its even going faster from sec3 to sec 5. ( do you get the picture)

I was making a novice mistake. My actual acceleration ended up being 1.3 m/s^2. Thanks for the help everyone.

1. What is uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration is a type of motion in which an object moves in a straight line with a constant rate of change in velocity.

2. How is uniform acceleration different from non-uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration is characterized by a constant change in velocity, whereas non-uniform acceleration involves a changing rate of change in velocity.

3. What is the equation for calculating uniform acceleration?

The equation for uniform acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its uniform acceleration?

The mass of an object does not affect its uniform acceleration, as long as the force acting on the object remains constant.

5. Can an object experiencing uniform acceleration ever reach a velocity of zero?

Yes, if the object is slowing down due to a negative acceleration, it will eventually reach a velocity of zero and come to a stop.