1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform acceleration vector problem

1. Nov 9, 2005 #1

DB

i just need some1 to tell me if i did something wrong and if i did a hint in the right direction would be great.

an object accelerates uniformly at 8 m/s^2, 130 degrees for 5 seconds until it reaches a velocity of 20 m/s, 143 degrees.
    Calculate: a) the intial velocity b) the displacement at the end of the 5 seconds

a) i decided i was gonna use [tex]a=\frac{v_2-v_1}{\Delta t}[/tex]
    so i had to turn the vectors to rectangular form, so i worked out their components using trig:

8, 130 degrees = [-5.14, 6.13]
    20, 143 degrees = [-16, 12]

so i filled in wat i know:

[tex][-5.14, 6.13] =\frac{[-16, 12] - [x,y]}{5}[/tex]

[tex]5*[-5.14, 6.13]=[-16, 12] - [x,y][/tex]

[tex][-25.7, 30.7]-[-16,12]=-[x,y][/tex]

[tex]\frac{[-9.7, 18.7]}{-1}=[x,y][/tex]

[tex][9.7, -18.7]=[x,y][/tex]

so know i got the components of the intial velocity, to put them in polar form:

pythagorus
    [tex]v_1=\sqrt{443.78} \sim 21.1 m/s[/tex]

using tan inverse i get 27.4 degrees for the angle and because x is negative and y is positive you get 21.1 m/s , West 27.4 degrees North
    that wat i get for "a"

b) i chose to use [tex]\Delta d= v_2 \Delta t - \frac{1}{2}a \Delta t^2[/tex]
    subsitute:

[tex]\Delta d= [-16, 12]*5- \frac{1}{2} [-5.14, 6.13]*25[/tex]

[tex]\Delta d= [-80,60]-[-64.25, 76.63][/tex]

[tex]\Deta d=[-15.75, -16.63][/tex]

so
    Delta d= ~ 23 m W 46.5 degrees S

howd i do? im not so confident

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2005 #2
    I haven't got a calculator with me, but assuming you typed it in right, I agree with you answer to (a). However, your equation for displacement has to use initial velocity (whereas you used final velocity), you can prove this with a velocity-time graph. If you want the graph tell me and I'll add it on in the morning (UK time).

d = V(initial) x T + 0.5 x A x T^2 (sorry about the crude formula)

I think you should be more confident, your thinking is spot on (especially how you approach with questions, just need to learn the formulas) ;-)

Regards,
    Sam

4. Nov 9, 2005 #3

DB

my apologies about the thread being posted three times, i dont know why but everytime i edited the thread it just posted a new 1, sorry.

thanks for the reply BerryBoy, ill apply that formula, dont worry bout the graph, thanks for the offer though :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?