Uniform acceleration~

In summary: You started this thread by asking if your method for calculating the average speed in each interval was correct; it was.What's the actual problem you are trying to solve? Can I assume that this is data collected for some uniformly accelerating object? And that you need to figure out the acceleration? If so, there are many ways to go about it. Which way does your instructor want you to use?Plotting a speed vs. time curve is perfectly OK. (What kind of curve would you expect?) But the time you need to use for each interval is the time of the midpoint of the interval, since you are using average speed during the interval. So in summary, the average speed is determined by dividing
ImsoFly

Homework Statement

Time(s)| Distance(cm) from start
0 | 0
0.1 | 0.6
0.2 | 2.4
0.3 | 5.4
0.4 | 9.6
0.5 | 15
0.6 | 21.6
0.7 | 29.4
0.8 |38.4
0.9 |48.6
1 | 60
1.1 |72.6
1.2 |86.4
1.3 | 101.4
1.4 |117.6
1.5 |135thats the table...and i have to calculate the average speed during each time interval..

Homework Equations

vav= delta d/delta t ?

The Attempt at a Solution

well i kno to find the average speed i'd divide the distance/time...because vav=delta d/delta t...so am i right? if I am wrong please correct me:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ImsoFly said:
well i kno to find the average speed i'd divide the distance/time...because vav=delta d/delta t...so am i right?
Sounds good to me.

The average speed is simply the distance traveled divided by the time over which the distance is traversed.

or average V = ((x(n) - x(n-1))/(t(n) - t(n-1)). The instantaneous velocity (speed) is determined as the period (time interval) shrinks to a very small magnitude to determine V(t) = dx/dt.

Doc Al said:
Sounds good to me.

yeah but then on question number 3... it says.. the values you calculaed are the average speeds for the time interval, not the speed of the interval. To be more percise, the average speed is the speed at the midpoint of each time interval, and should be plotted there instead of at the end of each time interval. record the mid-interval times in your table...so if i just do average speed I am alright? or do ihave to do the interval time?

Astronuc said:
The average speed is simply the distance traveled divided by the time over which the distance is traversed.

or average V = ((x(n) - x(n-1))/(t(n) - t(n-1)). The instantaneous velocity (speed) is determined as the period (time interval) shrinks to a very small magnitude to determine V(t) = dx/dt.

yeah but then on question number 3... it says.. the values you calculaed are the average speeds for the time interval, not the speed of the interval. To be more percise, the average speed is the speed at the midpoint of each time interval, and should be plotted there instead of at the end of each time interval. record the mid-interval times in your table...so if i just do average speed I am alright? or do ihave to do the interval time?

ImsoFly said:
What you have been asked to calculate is the average speed during each interval. But, since instantaneous speed is not constant during the interval, as an approximation to the actual (instantaneous) speed at any given time you should associate that average speed to the midpoint of the interval--not to the beginning (or end) of the interval. Make sense?

Doc Al said:
What you have been asked to calculate is the average speed during each interval. But, since instantaneous speed is not constant during the interval, as an approximation to the actual (instantaneous) speed at any given time you should associate that average speed to the midpoint of the interval--not to the beginning (or end) of the interval. Make sense?

but i do average speed first still right??im confsued about the midpoint interval :confused:

ImsoFly said:
but i do average speed first still right??im confsued about the midpoint interval :confused:
You started this thread by asking if your method for calculating the average speed in each interval was correct; it was.

What's the actual problem you are trying to solve? Can I assume that this is data collected for some uniformly accelerating object? And that you need to figure out the acceleration? If so, there are many ways to go about it. Which way does your instructor want you to use?

Plotting a speed vs. time curve is perfectly OK. (What kind of curve would you expect?) But the time you need to use for each interval is the time of the midpoint of the interval, since you are using average speed during the interval.

What is uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration is when an object travels at a constant rate of change in its velocity. This means that the object is accelerating at a constant rate, either increasing or decreasing its velocity by the same amount over a set period of time.

What is the formula for uniform acceleration?

The formula for uniform acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

How is uniform acceleration different from constant velocity?

Uniform acceleration and constant velocity are different in that constant velocity means the object is moving at a steady speed in a straight line, while uniform acceleration means the object's speed is changing at a constant rate.

What are some examples of uniform acceleration?

Some examples of uniform acceleration include a ball rolling down a ramp, a car driving at a constant speed, and a rocket launching into space.

How does uniform acceleration relate to Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. This means that in the case of uniform acceleration, the net force acting on the object remains constant, causing the object's mass to accelerate at a constant rate.