Uniform object acceleration

In summary: Could someone please check this? I want to make sure I'm doing it right.Thank youIn summary, the student is trying to solve for the acceleration of an object that is moving with uniform acceleration. They are using an equation that combines just the quantities they are given and the equation they are trying to solve for. They are also using the distance traveled and displacement to find the velocity.
chocolatelover

Homework Statement

An object moving with uniform acceleration has a velocity of 16.0 cm/s in the positive x direction when its x coordinate is 3.00 cm. If its x coordinate 1.60 s later is -5.00 cm, what is its acceleration?

Homework Equations

a=vf-vi/change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

a=3--5/1.6 s

Could someone please tell me if this looks correct?

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you are using your coordinates as the velocities...this would not be correct. Think in terms of displacement. Do you know any formulas that can be used with uniform acceleration?

It always helps to include the units of all the numbers in your equations. You're subtracting two numbers that have units cm and dividing them by something in seconds, so your result will be in cm/sec. That's a speed, however, not an acceleration.

As XxBollWeevilx pointed out, you need to use a different equation - one that combines just the quantities you're given and the one you're trying to solve for.

Thank you very much

Does this look righ?

displacement=xf-xi

so, 3cm--5cm=displacement
=8cm

The displacement is just the distance, right?

The acceleration is:

vf-vi/change in t

I don't understand how the displacement helps. I still don't know what vi is, right?

Thank you

distance is how much you travelled, displacement is the difference between the initial position of a reference point and any later position.

You're going from 3 cm to -5 cm, so your displacement will be [tex]x_f-x_i[/tex] = -5 cm - 3 cm. You DO know what vi is, from what I can see, but you don't know vf. But you don't need vf. Are there any equations that do not require vf? Think kinematics.

Thank you very much

So, if the displacement=xf-xi or 3cm--5cm=8cm in this case, then I can find the velocity, right?

velocity=xf-xi/change in t

8cm/1.6-0s=5m/s

In order to find the acceleration, I need to take vf-vi/change in t and it needs to be in m/s^2, right?

I know that the acceleration in uniform or constant. I know that vf=vi+at, but I don't know what vi or a are. Could you show me what I need to do to find the acceleration?

Thank you

its -5 cm - 3 cm not 3cm--5cm

displacement can be negative, distance cant

No, don't worry about finding velocity. Taking xf-xi/change in t will only give you the average velocity during the motion, not the initial or final velocity. Look for a formula that doesn't require vf and everything but a is known.

Thank you very much

Could I use this equation?

xf=xi+vit+1/2at^2?

Thank you

That would be a very good equation to use! :)

Nice job.

Thank you very much

Does this look correct?

-5=16+16(1.6)+1/2a1.6^2
a=-36.41

Thank you

I didn't check the arithmetic, but that looks pretty good to me.

Thank you very much

Regards

Could someone please check this? I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thank you

chocolatelover said:
Thank you very much

Does this look correct?

-5=16+16(1.6)+1/2a1.6^2
a=-36.41

Thank you

The first 16 should be x1, i.e. 3. Be careful of these little errors!

Thank you very much

The first 16 should be x1, i.e. 3. Be careful of these little errors!

What do you mean x1, i.e. 3? It should be multiplied by 1?

Thank you

This is the equation you are using:

chocolatelover said:
Thank you very much

Could I use this equation?

xf=xi+vit+1/2at^2?

Thank you

What is the value of xi, and what is the value you used when you calculated it?
(I'm sorry, I used x1 above when I should have used xi)

Last edited:
It's okay. It should have been 3, right? Does -26.25 look alright?

Last edited:
chocolatelover said:
It's okay. It should have been 3, right?

Yeah, you've got it now.

Thank you very much

Regards

1. What is uniform object acceleration?

Uniform object acceleration refers to the constant change in velocity of an object over time. This means that the object is moving at a consistent rate and the change in its speed is constant.

2. How is uniform object acceleration calculated?

Uniform object acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This is represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

3. What is the difference between uniform object acceleration and non-uniform object acceleration?

Uniform object acceleration refers to a constant change in velocity, while non-uniform object acceleration refers to a change in velocity that is not constant. This means that the speed of the object is either increasing or decreasing at varying rates over time.

4. What are some real-life examples of uniform object acceleration?

Some examples of uniform object acceleration include a car accelerating at a constant speed on a straight road, a falling object under the influence of gravity, and a pendulum swinging back and forth at a consistent rate.

5. How does air resistance affect uniform object acceleration?

Air resistance can affect uniform object acceleration by slowing down the object's speed. This is because air resistance creates a force that acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to decelerate. However, if the object is moving at a constant speed, the force of air resistance is equal to the force of the object's motion, resulting in a net force of zero and no change in acceleration.