1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform acceleration

1. Jul 16, 2005 #1
    hey guys will you help me out or give me links to understand why the formula (v + v0)/2 works out only when acceleration is constant? I believe it has to do with uniform acceleration maintaining an evenly distributed displacement, but I need to get this right so I can understand it clearly

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2005 #2
    It's an even change of velocity with respect to time. Let's say that I was driving my car, and went from 0 mph to 100 mph in 60 seconds, but then slowed down to 45 mph for 3 hours. That formula wouldn't show me an average acceleration over the entire time would it? I'd have to break it down into smaller parts. Also, most things do not accelerate uniformly, that is they speed up faster and slower all the time. It's hard to find things that fit the ideal conditions of the kinematic equations. That is why that formula produces the average acceleration.

4. Jul 16, 2005 #3

mukundpa

Homework Helper

please find average of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10
    and of 2, 4, 5, 6, 10

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?