Uniform Acceleration: Why (v+v0)/2 Works

In summary, the formula (v + v0)/2 works only when acceleration is constant. This is because uniform acceleration maintains an evenly distributed displacement. However, in real-life scenarios, most things do not accelerate uniformly, making it difficult to find objects that fit the ideal conditions of the kinematic equations. The formula for average acceleration is also useful for finding the average of a set of numbers, such as 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 2, 4, 5, 6, 10.
Omar.Castillo
hey guys will you help me out or give me links to understand why the formula (v + v0)/2 works out only when acceleration is constant? I believe it has to do with uniform acceleration maintaining an evenly distributed displacement, but I need to get this right so I can understand it clearly

Physics news on Phys.org
It's an even change of velocity with respect to time. Let's say that I was driving my car, and went from 0 mph to 100 mph in 60 seconds, but then slowed down to 45 mph for 3 hours. That formula wouldn't show me an average acceleration over the entire time would it? I'd have to break it down into smaller parts. Also, most things do not accelerate uniformly, that is they speed up faster and slower all the time. It's hard to find things that fit the ideal conditions of the kinematic equations. That is why that formula produces the average acceleration.

please find average of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10
and of 2, 4, 5, 6, 10

1. How does uniform acceleration work?

Uniform acceleration refers to the situation where an object's velocity changes by the same amount in each unit of time. This means that the object's speed is increasing or decreasing at a constant rate.

2. Why is (v+v0)/2 used in equations for uniform acceleration?

(v+v0)/2 is used because it represents the average velocity of an object over a given period of time. This is useful in equations for uniform acceleration because it allows us to calculate the final velocity of an object without knowing its exact acceleration at each moment.

3. How is (v+v0)/2 derived?

The equation (v+v0)/2 is derived from the formula for average velocity, which is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time. In the case of uniform acceleration, the average velocity is equal to the initial velocity (v0) plus the final velocity (v) divided by 2.

4. Does (v+v0)/2 only work for uniform acceleration?

Yes, (v+v0)/2 is specifically used for calculating the final velocity in situations where the acceleration is constant. If the acceleration is not constant, this equation would not accurately represent the average velocity of the object.

5. What other equations are commonly used for uniform acceleration?

Other equations used for uniform acceleration include v=v0+at (for calculating final velocity), x=x0+v0t+1/2at^2 (for calculating displacement), and v^2=v0^2+2a(x-x0) (for calculating final velocity without time). These equations all take into account the initial velocity (v0), acceleration (a), and time (t) to calculate different aspects of an object's motion.