Solve Uniform Acceleration: Find a = -12.4872 cm/s^2

In summary, the object has a uniform acceleration and starts at an x coordinate of 3.00 cm with a velocity of 17.0 cm/s in the positive x direction. After 2.6 seconds, its x coordinate is -5.00 cm. By plugging these values into the equation x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2, we can solve for the acceleration, which is -12.4872 cm/s. The mistake in the calculation was using 5 instead of -5 for the final x coordinate.
hsma
1. An object moving with uniform acceleration has a velocity of 17.0 cm/s in the positive x direction when its x coordinate is 3.00 cm. If its x coordinate 2.60 s later is -5.00 cm, what is its acceleration?

[tex]x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2[/tex]

X = 5
Xo = 3
V = 17
Vf = 17
a = ?
t = 2.6

Does these values seem correct? I plug them into the equation above but I am not getting the right answer. i got -12.4872 cm/s. what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
hsma said:
1. An object moving with uniform acceleration has a velocity of 17.0 cm/s in the positive x direction when its x coordinate is 3.00 cm. If its x coordinate 2.60 s later is -5.00 cm, what is its acceleration?

[tex]x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2[/tex]

X = 5
Xo = 3
V = 17
Vf = 17
a = ?
t = 2.6

Does these values seem correct? I plug them into the equation above but I am not getting the right answer. i got -12.4872 cm/s. what am i doing wrong?

The value you're using for X is wrong—note that the object starts to the right of the origin and ends at the left for this period of time.

oh man -5!, i thought this whole time it was 5. well this clears up a lot of headache

1. What is uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration is the constant change in velocity of an object over time. This means that the object is moving at a consistent rate, increasing or decreasing its speed by the same amount in each unit of time.

2. How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is measured in units of distance per time squared, such as meters per second squared or centimeters per second squared. It can also be expressed as a negative or positive number, indicating the direction of the acceleration.

3. What does a negative acceleration value mean?

A negative acceleration value, such as the value of -12.4872 cm/s^2 in this problem, indicates that the object is slowing down. This means that its velocity is decreasing over time.

4. How do you solve for acceleration?

To solve for acceleration, you need to know the initial and final velocities of the object, as well as the time it took for the change in velocity to occur. You can use the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

5. Can acceleration be negative and positive at the same time?

No, acceleration can only be either negative or positive at a given time. However, an object can experience both positive and negative acceleration at different points in its motion. For example, a car can accelerate in the positive direction when speeding up, and then decelerate in the negative direction when slowing down.