Uniform Approximation Algorithm for Function f(t) on [t_0;t_1] with Partial Sums

In summary, to build uniform approximations of a function with a necessary number of derivatives on [t_0;t_1], one can use a least squares approximation or an exponential series expansion. For a function on [t_0;+\infty), the latter approach may be more suitable.
Tolya
Function [tex]f(t)[/tex] specified on [tex][t_0;t_1][/tex] has a necessary number of derivatives. Find algorithm which can build uniform approximations of this function with help of partial sums:
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{N}\alpha_i e^{-\beta_i t}[/tex].
That is, find such [tex]\alpha_i[/tex], [tex]Re(\beta_i)\geq 0[/tex] satisfying the expression:
[tex]\min_{\alpha_i, ~\beta_i}\left( \max_{t\in [t_0;t_1]} \left| f(t)-\sum_{i=1}^{N}\alpha_i e^{-\beta_i t}\right| \right)[/tex]
Also consider a function specified on [tex][t_0;+\infty)[/tex]

Thanks for any ideas!

Physics news on Phys.org
For a function specified on [t_0;t_1], one approach is to use a least squares approximation. The idea is to find the coefficients \alpha_i, \beta_i that minimize the sum of squared errors between the function and its approximation:\sum_{i=1}^{N} \left( f(t_i) - \sum_{j=1}^{N}\alpha_j e^{-\beta_j t_i} \right)^2where t_i are a set of points in [t_0;t_1]. This can be done by solving a linear system of equations or using optimization algorithms such as gradient descent.For a function specified on [t_0;+\infty), a solution could be to use an exponential series expansion. That is, approximate the function with a sum of exponentials of the form:\sum_{i=1}^{N}\alpha_i e^{-\beta_i t},where the coefficients \alpha_i and \beta_i are found by solving a linear system of equations. This can be done by expanding the function as a Taylor series and then truncating the series at some order.

What is uniform approximation?

Uniform approximation is a mathematical technique used to approximate a function or curve with a simpler function that is "close enough" to the original. It involves finding a function with a similar shape and a limited number of parameters that can closely match the original function over a specified interval.

Why is uniform approximation important?

Uniform approximation is important because it allows us to simplify complex functions and make them more manageable for analysis. It also allows us to approximate a function with a simpler one, which can be useful in optimization problems or in situations where the original function is difficult to work with.

What is the difference between uniform approximation and least squares approximation?

Uniform approximation and least squares approximation are both methods used to approximate functions, but they differ in their approach. Uniform approximation focuses on minimizing the maximum distance between the original function and the approximation, while least squares approximation minimizes the sum of the squared distances. In other words, uniform approximation aims for a close fit over the entire interval, while least squares approximation focuses on minimizing errors at specific points.

What are the limitations of uniform approximation?

One limitation of uniform approximation is that it may not accurately represent the behavior of the original function outside of the specified interval. Additionally, it may not be able to accurately approximate functions with more complex shapes or features, such as sharp peaks or discontinuities. It also relies on the choice of the original function and the interval, which may affect the accuracy of the approximation.

What are some applications of uniform approximation?

Uniform approximation has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It is used in signal processing to approximate signals, in data analysis to approximate data points, and in control theory to approximate control systems. It is also used in numerical analysis to simplify the calculation of integrals and derivatives.