Solving a Uniform Beam Supporting Problem

In summary, the homework statement asks for the tension in a string in terms of the length, mass, and gravity. The beam is supported by a light string and in equilibrium. The torques are determined and the answer is that the tension in the string is equal to the sum of the torques.
HoneyPi

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=20998&stc=1&d=1254997829.jpg

A uniform beam AB, of lenth l and mass m, is free in turn in a vertical plane about a smooth hinge at A. It is supported in a static position by a light string, of the same length l, attached to the end of end B of the beam and to an anchoring point C at a height h vertically above A.
  • Draw a diagram showing clearly all the external forces acting on the beam.
  • By considering the equilibrium conditions for the beam, find an expression for the tension in the string in terms of m, l, h and g, the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\textbf{R} = R_j \textbf{j} + R_k \textbf{k}
[/tex]

[tex]
\textbf{W} = -mg \textbf{k}
[/tex]

[tex]
\textbf{T} = - \textsl{T} \cos\theta \textbf{j} + \textsl{T} \sin\theta \textbf{k}
[/tex]

[tex]
\textbf{r}_R = \textbf{0}
[/tex]

[tex]
\textbf{r}_W = \frac{1}{2} l \cos(\frac{1}{2} \theta) \textbf{j}
[/tex]

[tex]
\textbf{r}_T = l \cos(\frac{1}{2} \theta) \textbf{j}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(i)
attachment.php?attachmentid=20997&stc=1&d=1254997829.jpg

(ii) Determining the torques:

[tex]
\boldsymbol{\Gamma}_R = \textbf{0}
[/tex]

[tex]
\boldsymbol{\Gamma}_W = \frac{1}{2} l \cos(\frac{1}{2} \theta) \textbf{j} \times -mg \textbf{k} = - \frac{1}{2} l m g \cos(\frac{1}{2} \theta) \textbf{i}
[/tex]

[tex]
\boldsymbol{\Gamma}_T = l \cos(\frac{1}{2} \theta) \textbf{j} \times \textsl{T} \sin\theta \textbf{k} = l \textsl{T} \cos(\frac{1}{2} \theta) \sin\theta \textbf{i}
[/tex]

Then since we consider the equilibrium conditions, we have

[tex]
\boldsymbol{\Gamma}_T + \boldsymbol{\Gamma}_W + \boldsymbol{\Gamma}_R = \textbf{0}
[/tex]

Solving this in i-direction gives:
[tex]
l \textsl{T} \cos(\frac{1}{2} \theta) \sin\theta = \frac{1}{2} l m g \cos(\frac{1}{2} \theta)
\Rightarrow \textsl{T} \sin\theta = \frac{1}{2} m g
[/tex]

And now I am not sure about the following:

Since
[tex] \sin(\frac{1}{2} \theta) = \frac{\frac{1}{2} h }{l}[/tex]
it follows that
[tex] 2 \sin(\frac{1}{2} \theta) = \sin\theta = \frac{h}{l}[/tex]

And so
[tex]
\textsl{T} \frac{h}{l} = \frac{1}{2} m g \qquad \Rightarrow \quad \textsl{T} = \frac{mgl}{2h}
[/tex]

I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out with the last part of (ii) and also checking whether I did the other parts correctly.

Thanks a lot :)

Honey [tex] \pi [/tex]

Attachments

• 37_forces.jpg
    37_forces.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 530
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 562
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Honey π, welcome to PF.
In the last part 2sin(θ/2) is not equal to sinθ.
You know that sin(θ/2) = (h/2l).
Using trig. can you find cos(θ/2)
Then sinθ = 2sin(θ/2)cos(θ/2)

rl.bhat said:
Using trig. can you find cos(θ/2)

Let a be the altitude, then [tex]\cos(\frac{\theta}{2}) = \frac{a}{l}[/tex], but how can I eliminate the variable "a"?

I forgot to metion that I have the answer but no approach. The tutor's solution say that the answer is [tex]T=\frac{mgl}{2h}[/tex].

Thanks

Honey [tex]\pi[/tex]

Consider the angle between rod and string as θ1 and the angle between rod and the vertical as θ2.
Take the component of mg along the rod and perpendicular to the rod.
Take the components of T along the rod and perpendicular to the rod.
Perpendicular components constitute torque.
In triangle ABC, according to the properties of triangle,
h/sinθ1 = l/sinθ2. Noe try to solve the problem.

What is a uniform beam supporting problem?

A uniform beam supporting problem refers to a structural engineering problem where a beam is used to support a load or weight evenly along its length. This type of problem is commonly encountered in the design and analysis of bridges, buildings, and other structures.

How is a uniform beam supporting problem solved?

A uniform beam supporting problem can be solved using mathematical equations and principles of statics. The first step is to determine the forces acting on the beam, including the weight of the beam itself, any applied loads, and reactions at the supports. The next step is to apply the equations of equilibrium to determine the internal forces and stresses within the beam.

What are the key factors to consider when solving a uniform beam supporting problem?

When solving a uniform beam supporting problem, it is important to consider the properties of the beam, such as its length, material, and cross-sectional shape. The type of supports and loading conditions also play a significant role in determining the internal forces and stresses in the beam. Additionally, the assumptions made in the analysis, such as the beam being in static equilibrium, should be carefully considered.

Are there any common mistakes made when solving a uniform beam supporting problem?

Yes, there are several common mistakes that can occur when solving a uniform beam supporting problem. These include incorrect assumptions, errors in calculations, and not considering all the forces acting on the beam. It is important to carefully check all calculations and assumptions to ensure an accurate solution.

Why is it important to solve a uniform beam supporting problem accurately?

Solving a uniform beam supporting problem accurately is crucial because it ensures the structural integrity and safety of the beam and the overall structure it supports. An inaccurate solution can lead to structural failure, which can have serious consequences. Additionally, precise calculations are necessary for optimizing the design and minimizing costs.