Uniform Charge Density: Homework Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the setup of two large sheets of plastic with a distance d between them, each with a different uniform surface charge density. The question asks about the electric field strength at three different points, with no specific distances given. The person attempting to solve the problem references a formula for the electric field of a plane and makes an incorrect attempt at finding the field strength at point 2.
sister007

Homework Statement

ou've hung two very large sheets of plastic facing each other with distance d between them, as shown in the figure View Figure . By rubbing them with wool and silk, you've managed to give one sheet a uniform surface charge density eta_1= - \eta _{0} and the other a uniform surface charge density eta_2= + 3 \eta _{0} . What is the electric field strength at
POINT 1 (TO THE LEFT OF THE NEGATIVE PLATE)
POINT 2 (BETWEEN THE PLATES)
POINT 3 (TO THE RIGHT OF THE POSITIVE PLATE)

Specific distances are not given, all the the distances ("radius's") from the plates are the same.

Homework Equations

I was under the impression that only parrallel plate capacitors have uniform charge. So indeed all the charges will be different.
Would the point 1 be Net charge=o? Or would it be 1(nu)-3(nu)=-2nu?

The Attempt at a Solution

Im my book it says Efield of plane= N/(2xEpsilon) Using that info, I said point 2 is equal to 3/2 (n/E). I was wrong, SO obviously I don't know what I am doing. Help. :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no figure.

-1-(+3)=-4.

What is uniform charge density?

Uniform charge density refers to the distribution of electric charge over a given area or volume, where the charge is evenly distributed throughout the space.

How is uniform charge density calculated?

To calculate uniform charge density, you divide the total charge by the area or volume it is spread over. The resulting value is the amount of charge per unit area or volume.

What are some real-world examples of uniform charge density?

One example of uniform charge density is a charged metal plate, where the electric charge is evenly distributed across the surface. Another example is a spherical conductor with a uniformly charged surface.

How does uniform charge density affect electric fields?

Uniform charge density creates a uniform electric field, where the strength and direction of the field are the same at every point. This is because the charges are evenly distributed and do not create any imbalances in the field.

How is uniform charge density used in practical applications?

Uniform charge density is used in various applications, such as in capacitors, where it helps to create a uniform electric field between the plates. It is also used in electrostatic precipitators, which remove particulates from industrial exhaust gases using a charged electrode with a uniform charge density.