1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Charge Denisty

1. Apr 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

ou've hung two very large sheets of plastic facing each other with distance d between them, as shown in the figure View Figure . By rubbing them with wool and silk, you've managed to give one sheet a uniform surface charge density eta_1= - \eta _{0} and the other a uniform surface charge density eta_2= + 3 \eta _{0} . What is the electric field strength at
    POINT 1 (TO THE LEFT OF THE NEGATIVE PLATE)
    POINT 2 (BETWEEN THE PLATES)
    POINT 3 (TO THE RIGHT OF THE POSITIVE PLATE)

Specific distances are not given, all the the distances ("radius's") from the plates are the same.

2. Relevant equations

I was under the impression that only parrallel plate capacitors have uniform charge. So indeed all the charges will be different.
    Would the point 1 be Net charge=o? Or would it be 1(nu)-3(nu)=-2nu?

3. The attempt at a solution

Im my book it says Efield of plane= N/(2xEpsilon) Using that info, I said point 2 is equal to 3/2 (n/E). I was wrong, SO obviously I dont know what I am doing. Help. :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2007 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

There's no figure.

4. Apr 14, 2007 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

-1-(+3)=-4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?