Uniform Circular Motion Hills and Cars

In summary: In that case, the centripetal force would be negative since it points in the opposite direction of the positive y-axis. So the equation would be N-mg=mv^2/r. Sorry for the confusion!In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of experiencing a reduced weight while going over a hill in a car and the calculation of apparent weight at the lowest point in the valley. The equations used include centripetal force, sum of forces, acceleration, and velocity. The final solution for the apparent weight at the lowest point is N=2mg. There was a minor error in one of the equations, but it was corrected. The direction of the centripetal force is always towards the center of the circle.
passphysics
1a. Homework Statement
You are riding in a car over a hill that has a radius of curvature R. What speed should you be going if you want to feel one-third of your normal weight. Express your answer in terms of the radius R and the acceleration due to gravity g.
1b. You continue your journey at the same speed down the other side of the hill until you reach a valley that has a radius of curvature of two-thirds R. In terms of your true weight (mg) what is your apparent weight at the lowest point of the valley?

Homework Equations

F=(GMm)/(r^2)
[tex]\sum[/tex]F=ma
a=(v^2)/(r)
v=(2[tex]\pi[/tex]r)/(T)
v=(2pi r)/(T(period))

The Attempt at a Solution

1a.) I know that the sum of the forces in the y direction are F=(mg)(1/3)-N=mv^2/r
so v=[tex]\sqrt{rg/3-rN/m}[/tex]

1b.) Your weight should be more than your actual weight because mg-N=(mv^2)/r
I just don't know if i should put 2/3r in the equation. Then it would be mg=N-(mv^2)/(2/3r)

Sorry if i used the symbols incorrectly.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
for the first question, the weight you feel as you go over the curve is the normal reaction N.

So the centripetal force is given by mv2/R=mg-N. You want N to be (1/3)mg, so what is v in terms of R?

For the second part now: If at the lowest point, the weight points downwards and the normal reaction points upwards (your 'apparent' weight). In what direction should the centripetal force point and what is it equal to in terms of your weight and normal reaction?

So v2=[tex]\sqrt{r(g-1/3g}[/tex] which means v=[tex]\sqrt{r2/3g}[/tex] for 1a.

for 1b.) the centripetal force points in the direction the normal force does, upwards. the equation would be N-mg=mv[tex]^{2}[/tex]/(2r/3)
if i replace v with the equation from 1a.) then the equation would be:

mg=N-(m(2/3)gr)/(2/3 r) which simplifies to

mg=N-m
Is this correct?
Thank you

passphysics said:
So v2=[tex]\sqrt{r(g-1/3g}[/tex] which means v=[tex]\sqrt{r2/3g}[/tex] for 1a.

for 1b.) the centripetal force points in the direction the normal force does, upwards. the equation would be N-mg=mv[tex]^{2}[/tex]/(2r/3)
if i replace v with the equation from 1a.) then the equation would be:

mg=N-(m(2/3)gr)/(2/3 r) which simplifies to

mg=N-mg
Is this correct?
Thank you

1a) the 'g' should be in the numerator

b) Make N the subject of the formula and you'll get your answer. (see the part in red where you left out the 'g', I'll assume that is a typo)

Thanks!
for b i ended up getting mg=N/2

Doesn't centripetal acceleration/force always point to the center of the circle? In 1a) I know your apparent weight would be less but wouldn't you have N upwards, mg downwards, and mv2/r downwards also?

passphysics said:
Thanks!
for b i ended up getting mg=N/2

well right N=2mg. Which means that you 'feel' as if you weight twice as much.

To Chris
You are right, centripetal force always point to the center of the circle.
I just chose a coordinate system where the centripetal acceleration is on the positive y-axis.

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object along a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is moving at the same speed and in the same direction at all points along the path.

2. How is uniform circular motion different from non-uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant while its direction changes. In non-uniform circular motion, the speed and direction of the object are constantly changing.

3. How does the presence of hills affect uniform circular motion for cars?

The presence of hills can impact the speed and direction of a car in uniform circular motion. As the car goes up a hill, its speed will decrease due to the force of gravity pulling it down. This will cause the car to slow down and potentially change its direction. Going down a hill will have the opposite effect, increasing the car's speed and potentially changing its direction.

4. What is the role of centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In uniform circular motion, this force is equal to the force of gravity pulling the object towards the center of the circle. Without centripetal force, the object would continue in a straight line rather than following a circular path.

5. How do cars maintain a constant speed in uniform circular motion?

Cars maintain a constant speed in uniform circular motion by balancing the forces acting on them. The engine of the car provides the necessary force to keep the car moving at a constant speed, while the centripetal force from the circular path balances out the force of gravity pulling the car down. This allows the car to maintain a constant speed along the circular path.