Centripetal Force Lab: Exploring Frequency & Mass Effects

In summary, the instructor is saying that as the mass of the ball decreases, the frequency of its rotation increases.
n3w ton

Homework Statement

Please go to: http://web.dsbn.edu.on.ca/~andre.hu...0DC3EE/Lab Centripetal Force .pdf?Plugin=Loft

Evaluation Question (E)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I was thinking that as the frequency of revolution of the stopper increases, this must mean that either more force tension/Fc is being applied to make the stopper spin faster, thus resulting in faster revolutions and increasing the frequency.

In addition, I think that as the mass and radius both decrease, the frequency also increases.

Though, I'm sure of why and how it would increase the accuracy of the as the frequency of revolution of the stopper increases?

(I think that as the stopper becomes more 'horizontal' it will be spinning in a imaginary flat surface, and this will cancel out gravity and the theoretical normal force, though this is just an idea)

Thank you for your help in- advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi n3w ton,

I don't blame you for struggling with this problem; the wording of it is very awkward. I will take my best stab at it, but I make no promises that I have correctly read your instructor's mind:

The key point is (probably?) in the experimental method where you're told to measure the time the ball takes to make 20 orbits, in order to measure its frequency of rotation. At constant radius, as the frequency increases, so does the velocity of the ball; and the faster the ball is moving, the harder it is to stop your stopwatch after *exactly* 20 orbits, thus degrading your accuracy for very high frequencies.

This is certainly true; but apologies in advance if it isn't what was meant by the opaque wording of this problem.

Hope this helps,
Bill Mills

Last edited by a moderator:

They've said that the metal masses provide the necessary centripetal force, say Fc

##F_c = \frac{m v^2}{r}= mv\omega ##

##F_c = 2 \pi n m v ##

Thus, the frequency ##n = \frac{F_c}{2\pi\ m v}=\frac{F_c}{4\pi^2 m r n}##
##\therefore n=\frac{1}{2 \pi}\sqrt{\frac{F_c}{m r}}##

##\therefore n \propto \sqrt{F_c}##

##\therefore n \propto \frac{1}{\sqrt{r}}##

So, as the metal masses increase, Fc increases, thus the frequency of revolution increases. As the radius decreases, frequency increases. The mass of the ball is constant, as stated. I don't understand what you mean by accuracy...Accuracy of what?
I hope this helped. :smile:

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, always pointing towards the center of the circle. It is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path.

2. How does frequency affect centripetal force?

The frequency of an object's circular motion is directly proportional to the centripetal force acting on it. This means that as the frequency increases, the centripetal force must also increase to keep the object in its circular path.

3. How does mass affect centripetal force?

The mass of an object is inversely proportional to the centripetal force acting on it. This means that as the mass increases, the centripetal force decreases and vice versa.

4. What is the purpose of this lab?

The purpose of this lab is to explore the relationship between centripetal force, frequency, and mass. By varying the frequency and mass of an object in circular motion, we can observe how these factors affect the centripetal force and understand the underlying principles of circular motion.

5. How is centripetal force measured in this lab?

In this lab, centripetal force is measured using a force sensor attached to the object in circular motion. The force sensor measures the tension in the string or spring that is providing the centripetal force, which is then recorded and analyzed.