1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Circular Motion

1. Feb 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 0.150-kg ball on the end of a 1.10-m-long cord (negligible mass) is swung in a vertical circle.

2. Relevant equations
    Total net force = mass*centripetal acceleration = mass*(velocity squared)/radius

3. The attempt at a solution

The question I have is that... I'm looking at the book Physics Volume I, 6th Edition...And for the radius, shouldn't it be 1.10m/2 to get the radius? On the book, they just have 1.10m for r...So I'm confused here since I thought 1.10 is the diameter of the cord, not the radius. Could someone clarify that?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2009 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The radius is the distance from the centre of a circle to any point on the circumference. Now, when the ball is being swung in a vertical circle it is *always* on the circumference of the circular path, agreed? So, what is the distance between the ball and the centre of the circle?

4. Feb 19, 2009 #3
    Shouldn't it still be half the length of cord still since the center of the circle would be at the middle, so r should be half of the length....no?

5. Feb 19, 2009 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you were swinging a ball around on a piece of string, at which point would you hold the string?

6. Feb 19, 2009 #5
    AHA, that makes a lot more sense. So r would be the same even if the ball was in a horizontal circular motion, right?

7. Feb 19, 2009 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Correct. If the radius changed during the motion, then the ball would not be moving in a circle.

8. Feb 19, 2009 #7
    Alright! You're awesome. Thank you for your help! =]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook