Will I Slide in My Seat During a 2km Level Turn at 400km/hr in an Airplane?

In summary, the homework problem asks if the coefficient of static friction between you and the seat is sufficient to provide the necessary centripetal force to keep you moving in a circular motion with a radius of 1km at a speed of 400km/hr. The force diagram provided shows the forces acting on the body and the confusion with the statement is clarified. Ultimately, the problem involves understanding Newton's first law and calculating the required centripetal force using the equation (v^2/r)=a.
pb23me

Homework Statement

you are sitting in an airplane. you have a window seat. the plane makes a level turn of 2km at speed 400km/hr. the coefficient of static friction btwn you and the seat is .35 Then they ask is the frictional force sufficient to keep you moving in a radius of 1km at a speed of 400km/hr. would you slide in your seat?

Homework Equations

(v^2/r)=a

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure what they mean by"is the frictional force sufficient to keep you moving in a radius of 1km" what does the frictional force have to do with keeping me moving? and I am not sure how I am supposed to go about calculating anything without an angle. i drew a force diagram see pic.

Attachments

• bla.jpg
    bla.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
You're parsing the statement wrong. It's, "is the frictional force enough to keep you moving in a radius of 1 km." Remember that a certain amount of centripetal force is required to maintain circular motion at a certain radius and a certain speed.

Remember also Newton's first law. Although the plane is accelerating (curving), your body wants to keep going in a straight line. The friction with the seat is what is providing the centripetal force that keeps you moving in a circle. If it is insufficient, well...you will slide tangentially to the curve.

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object's speed remains the same, but its direction changes continuously.

2. What causes uniform circular motion?

The centripetal force, which points towards the center of the circular path, causes uniform circular motion. This force is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path.

3. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant, while in non-uniform circular motion, the speed changes at different points in the circular path. This means that the centripetal force in uniform circular motion is always equal to the product of the mass and the square of the velocity, while in non-uniform circular motion, the force may vary.

4. What are some examples of uniform circular motion?

A few examples of uniform circular motion include the motion of planets around the sun, the motion of a satellite around the Earth, and the rotation of a Ferris wheel.

5. How is uniform circular motion related to centripetal acceleration?

Uniform circular motion is directly related to centripetal acceleration, which is the acceleration towards the center of the circular path. In uniform circular motion, the centripetal acceleration is always directed towards the center and has a magnitude equal to the square of the velocity divided by the radius of the circular path.