1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform circular motion

1. May 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An object is moving uniformly in circles with a radius of 5m and a frequency of 2 Hz. What is its instantaneous velocity?

2. Relevant equations
    d761ac0fcd79ea569b77177a1503777f.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem i am dealing with is the frecuency.
    I am not here for an answer or to cheat. I am applying for a admission test and working on some old admission test that comes without a answer sheet. Please help me to understand the way to solve this problem so i can pratice further. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should understand that the hertz (Hz) is a unit of frequency equal to one cycle per second.

4. May 13, 2015 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

How does frequency (which is given) relate to period (T)?

5. May 13, 2015 #4
    So if 1hz i 360 degrees (5m) than 2hz is 10m. hz is by second so that means that the velocity is 10m/s, right?

6. May 13, 2015 #5
    Doc Al, i dont know.. I cannot aford a teacher thats why im using methods like this to learn.. Instead behaving like that give me a chance or a clue like Steamking did..

7. May 13, 2015 #6

Doc Al

No. 5 m is the radius of the circle here.

8. May 13, 2015 #7

Doc Al

You have Google at your fingertips!

9. May 13, 2015 #8
    Okey i think i got it. O=3.14x10= 31.4m.
    1hz: 31,4m
    2hz: 1hzx2=31,4x2=62,8m/s ?

10. May 13, 2015 #9

Doc Al

Good!

FYI: Frequency and period are inverses of each other. Frequency is cycles per second; Period is seconds per cycle. So a frequency of 2 Hz, means a period of 1/2 seconds.

11. May 13, 2015 #10
    Thank you! And thank you for your time and your advice, i will keep that in mind!
    The same goes for you too steamking!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted