1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Continuity 2

1. Oct 31, 2005 #1
    "Let [tex]f:[a,b]\rightarrow [a,b][/tex] be defined such that [tex]|f(x)-f(y)|\leq a|x-y| [/tex] where 0<a<1. Prove that f is uniformly continuous and (other stuff)."

Let e>0 and let d=e/a. Whenever [tex]0<|x-y|<d, |f(x)-f(y)|\leq a|x-y|<ad=e[/tex]. f is therefore by definition uniformly continuous.

Did I do this right? It seems too good to be true. It doesn't seem right because I did not use the fact that 0<a<1.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2005 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Nov 1, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ordinary continuity says "For any x0, for any [tex]\epsilon[/tex]>0, there exist [tex]\delta[/tex]> 0 such that if [tex]|x-x_0|< \delta[/tex], then [tex]|f(x)-f(x_0)|< \epsilon[/tex]".
    Uniform continuity says "For any [tex]\epsilon[/tex]>0, there exist [tex]\delta[/tex]> 0 such that, for any x0, if [tex]|x-a_0|< \delta[/tex], then [tex]|f(x)-f(x_0)|< \epsilon[/tex]".

The difference is that, for uniform continuity, the same [tex]\delta[/tex] works for all x0.
    If [tex]|f(x)-f(y)|< a|x-y|[/tex], then in particular, for any x0, [tex]|f(x)-f(x_0)|< a|x-x_0|[/tex], then given any [tex]\epsilon[/tex], we can choose [tex]\delta= \frac{\epsilon}{a}[/tex] for all x0.

That's essentially what you are saying since you seem to be using a slightly different (equivalent) definition of uniform continuity.

5. Nov 1, 2005 #4
    I just find it odd that it gave me a property (0<a<1) which I did not need. Thanks for your help.

6. Nov 1, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What was the "(other stuff)"? 0< a< 1 may be need for that. It means that f is a "contraction" function and, among other things, has a unique "fixed point".

7. Nov 1, 2005 #6
    The other thing was to show that there exists an e in [a,b] such that f(e) = e.

8. Nov 1, 2005 #7

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't there a theorem you can use?

9. Nov 1, 2005 #8
    Assuming f(a) is not a and f(b) is not b, I've basically proved that a continuous function defined on [a,b] must intersect the identity function g(x)=x at least once. I haven't been able to prove uniqueness. And yes, there are lots of theorems I can use.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?