Uniform continuity and bounded

In summary, to prove that if f is uniformly continuous on a bounded set S, then f is bounded on S, you cannot solely rely on the fact that S is bounded and apply the result from the previous chapter that a continuous function on a closed interval is bounded. This is because not all bounded sets are intervals. Instead, you can use the fact that a uniformly continuous function maps Cauchy sequences to Cauchy sequences. However, you need to place more requirements on the Cauchy sequence in order to arrive at a contradiction. This may involve considering subsequences or the convergence of the sequence to an element in S.
1800bigk
Prove that if f is uniformly continuous on a bounded set S then f is bounded on S.

Our book says uniform continuity on an interval implies regular continuity on the interval, and in the previous chapter we proved that if a function is continuous on some closed interval then it is bounded. Is that how I should prove this, or am I missing something? It seems to easy this way and that usually means I am overlooking something.

tia

Physics news on Phys.org
You're overlooking the fact that not all bounded sets are intervals.

A possible way to prove the result, is to use that a uniformly continuous function maps Cauchy sequences to Cauchy sequences. If you assume that f is unbounded on S, this will lead to a contradiction.

I was just getting ready to say just because S is bounded doesn't mean S is closed and I need S to be closed to go the easy way. I supposed f is uniformly continuous and unbounded then I said since S is bounded then there is a convergent sequence {Xn} in S by bolzano and since {Xn} converges then {Xn} is cauchy. Since f is uniformly continuous on S then f(Xn) is cauchy so f is bounded, contradiction

That's not correct, but on the right path. You don't actually have a contradiction (unbounded sets can (and always do!) contain Cauchy sequences). You need to place more requirements on x_n.

what kind of requirements do I need? Do I need to say something about Xn converging to an element in S? Do I need to use subsequences?

1. What is uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a type of continuity that describes how a function behaves over its entire domain. It means that for any two points in the domain, the distance between the corresponding function values can be made arbitrarily small by taking the distance between the two points small enough.

2. How is uniform continuity different from regular continuity?

The main difference between uniform continuity and regular continuity is that uniform continuity requires the function to have a constant rate of change, while regular continuity only requires the function to be continuous at every point in its domain.

3. What is the importance of uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is important because it allows us to make statements about the behavior of a function over its entire domain without having to examine every point individually. It is also a necessary condition for many important theorems in calculus and analysis.

4. What does it mean for a function to be bounded?

A function is bounded if its values are restricted to a certain range. This means that there is a maximum and minimum value that the function can take on. In other words, the function does not grow or shrink without bound.

5. How is boundedness related to uniform continuity?

A function that is uniformly continuous is also bounded. This means that the function does not have any sudden jumps or spikes that would cause it to grow or shrink without bound. Uniform continuity ensures that the function is well-behaved and does not have any extreme behavior that would make it unbounded.