1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform continuity proof

1. Dec 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##f:X \to Y##. Show that
    ##f## not uniform continuous on ##X## ##\Longleftrightarrow## ##\exists \epsilon > 0## and sequences ##(p_n), (q_n)## in ##X## so that ##d_X(p_n,q_n)\to 0 ## while ##d_Y(f(p_n),f(q_n))\ge \epsilon##.

2. Relevant equations
    Let ##f:X\to Y##. We say ##f## is uniform continuous on ##X## if ##\forall \epsilon >0 \exists \delta > 0## so that
    ##d_Y(f(x),f(y))< \epsilon## ##\forall x,y\in X## for which ##d_X(x,y)< \delta##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was hoping someone could take a look at my proof and check if it's correct or not. I found the second part especially hard to formulate so I'm mostly unsure about that part.

Starting with ##\Longleftarrow##
    ##d(p_n,q_n) \to 0## means by definition that
    ##\forall \delta > 0## ##\exists N## so that ##d(p_n,q_n) < \delta## for ##n \ge N##. But then ##f## can't be uniform continuous since the points ##p_n, q_n \in X## and ##d_Y(f(p_n),f(q_n))\ge \epsilon_0## we have a counter example to
    ##d(x,y)<\delta \Longrightarrow d(f(x),f(y)< \epsilon## if we take a ##\epsilon < \epsilon_0##.

##\Longrightarrow##
    That ##f## is not uniform continuous implies that ##\exists \epsilon >0## so that ##\forall \delta > 0## there exists ##x,y\in X## so that
    ##d_X(x,y)< \delta \Longrightarrow d_Y(f(x),f(y))\ge \epsilon##. Let's select some ##x,y## satisfying this and set ##p_n = x## and ##q_n =y## and we're done.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2016 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You're not finished. You haven't defined the sequences [itex]p_n[/itex] and [itex]q_n[/itex].

Maybe it helps to look at a concrete case: [itex]f(x) = x^2[/itex]. This is not uniformly continuous. Pick [itex]\epsilon = 1[/itex]. Then for any [itex]\delta > 0[/itex], we can find an [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] such that [itex]|x-y| < \delta[/itex], but [itex]|f(x) - f(y)| > \epsilon[/itex]. You just let [itex]x = \frac{1}{\delta}[/itex], and let [itex]y = x+\frac{\delta}{2}[/itex]. Then even though [itex]|x-y| < \delta[/itex], [itex]|x^2 - y^2| = 1 + \frac{\delta^2}{4} > \epsilon[/itex].

So it's not uniformly continuous. But how does your argument show that there is a sequence [itex]p_n[/itex] and a sequence [itex]q_n[/itex] such that [itex]|p_n - q_n| \rightarrow 0[/itex] but [itex]|(p_n)^2 - (q_n)^2| > \epsilon[/itex]?

(It's not hard to come up with such a sequence, but it doesn't seem to follow immediately from your proof.)

4. Dec 29, 2016 #3
    Good catch there! I tried to fix the problem:
    So we have ##d_X(x,y)<\delta \Longrightarrow d_Y(f(x),f(y))\ge \epsilon##.
    Set ##N= floor(1+1/\delta)## Then ##d_X(x_n,y_n)\le 1/n < \delta## for ##n\ge N## implies ##d_Y(f(x),f(y))\ge \epsilon##.
    So for each ##n## select ##x_n,y_n## satisfying the above which will then form two sequences ##x_n## and ##p_n## for which ##d_X(x_n,y_n)< 1/n \to 0##.

For your example we could set ##p_n = n+1/n## and ##q_n = n## then ##|p_n-q_n| = 1/n \to 0## while ##|(n+1/n)^2-n^2| = 2+1/n^2 \to 2##.

5. Dec 30, 2016 #4
    In the proof above we can shift the indexes to start counting from ##1,2,\dots## by setting ##p_1 = x_N, p_2 = x_{N+1}, \dots ##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted