1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform continuity

1. Nov 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

if f and g are 2 uniformly continuous functions on X --> R

show that f+g is uniformly continuous on X

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried showing that f+g is Lipschitz because all Lipschitz functions are uniformly continuous.

So i end up with d(x_1,x_2) < delta then d([f(x1)+g(x1)],[f(x2)+g(x2)])<epsilon. how can I show this is lipshcitz
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2008 #2
    forget about lipschitz

you know that if you pick x1 and x2 close to eachother, then fx1 and fx2 are at most a distance close to eachother, namely epsilon. And also gx1 and gx2 are at most a distance epsilon. so their summed distance is 2 *epsilon.

so now you can define epsilon' as 2epsilon... so for any distance delta between x1 and x2 you now have a distance epsilon' between f+gx1 and f+gx2, that upholds that "for any epsilon' >0 there is a delta >0 such that the distance between x1 and x2 <delta implies that the distance between f+gx1 and f+gx2 is smaller than epsilon' "... it's just the same delta as before.

or at least thats what I make of it. It's 1 AM here and I can't finish my own problem so I went to look at other peoples' problems... but I don't have a clear mind right now.

Oh yeah, and when you write this down... you'll want to use nice math symbols and make things a bit more rigorous... but I think that should be no problem.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  4. Nov 18, 2008 #3
    Let e>0 be given. Since f(x) is uniformly continuous on X, there exists s > 0, such that y in neighborhood of x, N_s (x), implies |f(y)-f(x)| < e/2. Similarly, since g(x) uniformly continuous, y in N_s (x) implies |g(y) - g(x)| < e/2. Since |f(y)+g(y) - f(x)-g(x)| <= |f(y) - f(x)| + |g(y) - g(x)| < e/2 + e/2, we have |(f+g)(y) - (f+g)(x)| < e, for all y in N_s (x). That is (f+g) uniformly continuous, this completes the proof.
  5. Nov 19, 2008 #4
    I don't think we're supposed to write out the entire answer like that
  6. Nov 19, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

VERY DEFINITELY NOT. It's against the forum rules. "Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made." Don't do that again.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?