1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Uniform continuity

1. Jan 30, 2010 #1
    Hello,

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that f is continuous in [tex][1,\infty)[/tex] and [tex] lim_{x->\infty}f(x) [/tex] exists and is finite, prove that f is uniformly continuous in [1,[tex]\infty)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    We will mark [tex] lim_{x->\infty}f(x) = L [/tex]. So we know that there exists [tex]x_{0}[/tex] such that for every [tex] x>x_{0} |L-f(x)|<\epsilon [/tex] so f is uniformly continuos in [tex] (x_{0},\infty) [/tex]
    We shall look at the segment [tex] [1,x_{0}+1] [/tex]. We know that a continuous function ina closed segment is uniformly continuous.

From here I am puzled. I have two routes.
    The easy route sais that since we showed f is uniformly continuous in those two segments and they overlap then f is uniformly continuous on the whole segment. I havea feeling this is not enough.
    Route 2:
    We know that a continous function ina closed segment has a minimum and maximal value there. Then we can look at the closed segment [tex] [1,x_{0}+1] [/tex] and mark [tex] m=MIN(f(x)), M= MAX(f(x)) [/tex]. But since f converges to L from [tex] x=,x_{0} [/tex] we have taken into account all of the possible values of f.
    we will mark [tex] d= | |M| - |m| | [/tex] the biggest difference in value f gets.
    and from here I am stuck. I am lost as to how to tie up the proof. Gudiance would be greatly apreciated.
    Thanks
    Tal

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2010 #2
    I think that I would try to use your "route 1", if you know that the mapping is uniformly continuous in both domains, and they overlap on [x0,x0+1]. Let's call them domains 1 and 2.

Uniform continuity in a domain demands that for any constant epsilon>0, there should be a constant delta>0 such that |f(y)-f(x)| < epsilon for all y with |y-x| < delta.

For a given epsilon, you can find such a delta for domain 1, and one for domain 2, just choose the smallest one of those, and I think is it OK, right? I guess delta also has to be less than the overlap of the two domains. You can always choose such a delta.

It's been a while since I worked on such problems, so please be very critical towards my statements!

Torquil

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook