Uniform continuous proofs

In summary: R}##. We can start by letting ##x_0 = 1/\delta##, as you mentioned in your post. This means that as ##\delta## gets smaller, ##x_0## gets larger. Next, we can choose a value for ##x## that is close to ##x_0##, say ##x = x_0 + \delta/2##. This choice of ##x## ensures that ##|x-x_0| < \delta##. Now, we can plug these values into the expression for ##|f(x)-f(x_0)|## and simplify to get ##|f(x)-f(x_0)| = |x^2-x_
Lee33

Homework Statement

Show that the function ##x^2## is not uniformly continuous on ##\mathbb{R}##

Homework Equations

Delta - Epsilon Definition:

##\exists \epsilon > 0, \ \forall \delta >0, \exists x \in S [|x-x_0|< \delta \text{and} |x^2 - x_0^2| \ge \epsilon ].##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused on how they got ##\epsilon## and ##\delta##. It seems they found it through thin air.

What I did was:

Let ##\delta >0## and ##|x-x_0| < \delta## then for a given ##\epsilon >0## we have that ##|f(x) - f(x_0)| = |x^2 - x_0^2| = |x - x_0||x+x_0| = \delta|x+x_0| = \delta|x-x_0 +2x_0| = \delta[|x-x_0| + |2x_0|] = \delta^2 + \delta|2x_0| ... ##

I googled this and find out they chose ##\epsilon = 1## and ##x= x_0 + \delta/2## and ##x_ 0 = 1/\delta##. I am not sure how they got that? And this happens a lot in real analysis, they choose an ##\epsilon## and ##\delta## that I have no idea how they got. It's like they got it from thin air. I know those ##\epsilon## and ##\delta## work but they never provide information on how they obtained it.

Can anyone help me rigorously show how to solve problems like this?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I understand your confusion about how to choose appropriate values for ##\epsilon## and ##\delta## in the proof for non-uniform continuity of the function ##x^2## on ##\mathbb{R}##. Let me walk you through the steps to help you better understand the reasoning behind the choices of ##\epsilon## and ##\delta##.

First, let's recall the definition of uniform continuity. A function ##f## is uniformly continuous on a set ##S## if for any given ##\epsilon > 0##, there exists a ##\delta > 0## such that for all ##x, y \in S##, if ##|x-y| < \delta##, then ##|f(x)-f(y)| < \epsilon##. In other words, for any given ##\epsilon##, we need to find a ##\delta## that works for all points in the set ##S##.

Now, let's apply this definition to the function ##x^2## on ##\mathbb{R}##. We want to show that this function is not uniformly continuous, which means that there exists an ##\epsilon > 0## such that for all ##\delta > 0##, we can find points ##x, y \in \mathbb{R}## such that ##|x-y| < \delta## but ##|f(x)-f(y)| \geq \epsilon##.

To prove this, we need to choose a specific value for ##\epsilon## and then find a corresponding ##\delta## that works for all points in ##\mathbb{R}##. In this case, we can choose ##\epsilon = 1##. Why did we choose this value? We want to show that as we get closer and closer to ##x_0##, the difference between ##f(x)## and ##f(x_0)## can get arbitrarily large. By choosing ##\epsilon = 1##, we are essentially saying that no matter how small we make ##\delta##, we can always find points ##x, y## such that ##|x-y| < \delta## but ##|f(x)-f(y)| \geq 1##. This will demonstrate that the function is not uniformly continuous.

Now, let's find a corresponding ##\delta## that works for all points

1. What is a uniform continuous proof?

A uniform continuous proof is a type of mathematical proof used to show that a given function is uniformly continuous. Uniform continuity is a property of functions that guarantees that the function's output does not change too much when the input changes by a small amount.

2. How is uniform continuity different from regular continuity?

Uniform continuity is a stronger form of continuity than regular continuity. While regular continuity only guarantees that a function's output gets arbitrarily close to its limit as the input approaches a certain value, uniform continuity guarantees that the output stays close to the limit for all values of the input, regardless of how close they are to each other.

3. What are the main steps in a uniform continuous proof?

The main steps in a uniform continuous proof typically involve defining a suitable "small" quantity, showing that the function's output does not change too much when the input changes by this small quantity, and then using this to prove that the function satisfies the formal definition of uniform continuity.

4. Why are uniform continuous proofs important?

Uniform continuous proofs are important because they allow us to rigorously prove that a function has the desirable property of uniform continuity. This can be useful in many areas of mathematics and science, such as in the study of differential equations, optimization problems, and numerical analysis.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when writing a uniform continuous proof?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to watch out for when writing a uniform continuous proof. These include using the wrong definition of uniform continuity, using incorrect notation, and not clearly defining the "small" quantity used in the proof. It is important to carefully follow the steps and definitions in a uniform continuous proof to avoid these mistakes.