1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform convergence in [0,1]

1. Jan 8, 2009 #1
    Let fn(x)=nx^2/1+nx ; x lies in [0,1]

Is the convergence uniform?

Since lim as n-->infinity of fn is x, I can see that fn(x) converges pointwise to f(x)= x
    But I get stuck when I try to show the convergence is uniform or not.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since you know the limit is f(x)=x, look at |fn(x)-f(x)|. What's the maximum of that function on the interval [0,1]?

4. Jan 8, 2009 #3
    I think the maximum of |fn(x)-f(x)| on [0,1] is 1/1+n. So can I conclude that the convergence is uniform because there is an "N" that doesn't depend on x such that for all n> or eq. to N, 1/1+n gets arbitrarily small?

5. Jan 8, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you make that conclusion? If I give you an e>0 can you find an N such that 1/(1+n)<e for all n>N? Sure you can. If you're not sure you'd better figure out how pick a corresponding N.

6. Jan 8, 2009 #5
    that N should be > than 1-e/e right?

7. Jan 8, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. Use parentheses when you write something like (1-e)/e, ok? 1-e/e at first glance looks like 1-(e/e), which looks like 0.

8. Jan 8, 2009 #7
    Right, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?