1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Uniform Convergence problem

1. Dec 28, 2009 #1
    I'm trying to better understand convergence so I made upa problem for myself based on an example from class. I want to know if I'm answering my own questions correctly.

Define a sequence of functions fn(x) = 1 if x is in {r1, r2, ... , rn} and 0 otherwise. Where r1, r2, ... , rn are the first n rational numbers in some enumeration of all rational numbers. fn converges pointwise to the dirichlet function. But, can we say anything else about how fn --> f?

Uniform Convergence
    Given e > 0 is there an N such that when n > N |fn - f | < e for all x? No. Just let e=.5 we cal alays find an x value where |fn - f | = 1. That is, a rational number that has not yet been listed by the time we reach n.

Convergence in Measure
    Yes. The measure of the set where f and fn are not the same is *always* 0.

Almost Uniform Convergence
    Yes. If we let A, the set of measure less the any e where uniform convergence fails be Q, the rationals I think we have almost uniform convergence. since m{Q}=0 < e for all e > 0.

Convergence in LP
    Yes, the Lp norm of the fn and f is always 0 anyway.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2009 #2
    Re: Convergence

Yup. You've got it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook