1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform convergence question

1. Mar 26, 2007 #1
    Suppose f(x) is continuous on [0,1], and that f(1)=0. Prove that [itex]x^n f(x)[/itex] converges uniformly on [0,1] as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex]

By continuity, if [itex]|x-1|< \delta [/itex] then [itex]|f(x)|< \epsilon[/itex] for [itex]x \in [x_0 ,1][/itex] for some [itex]x_0 \in [0,1][/itex].

And there is some N such that if n>N, then [itex]|x^n|<\epsilon[/itex] since [itex]x^n \rightarrow 0[/itex] for [itex]x \in [0,1][/itex].

The endpoints work since x^nf(x) is 0 there. So I have an N that works for [itex] \{ 0 \} \cup [x_0, 1][/itex].

I'm having trouble getting the rest of the interval. I thought about covering the set and using compactness, but was wondering if there was a better way.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2007 #2
    You get uniform continuity on compact sets, my friend.

4. Mar 26, 2007 #3
    I'm asking about uniform convergence.

ETA: But the function would be uniformly continuous, giving me delta that works for all x in the interval.

Thanks.

5. Mar 27, 2007 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the point of this?

"If [itex]|x-1|< \delta [/itex] then [itex]|f(x)|< \epsilon[/itex]"

means that for [itex]x \in (1-\delta ,1][/itex], [itex]|f(x)|<\epsilon[/itex]. Why add the part about "for [itex]x \in [x_0, 1][/itex] for some [itex]x_0 \in [0,1][/itex]."?
    This isn't true for x=1.
    What is the definition of uniform convergence?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?