Proving Non-Uniform Convergence: Understanding the Role of Singular Points

In summary: T is less than 1/4 for some x in the interval of consideration. Two...the sequence ##S_N## converges to 1.
trap101
I have a question where I am supposed to show that a series does not converge uniformly, I get the majority of the question, but one part in the solution I can't see the rationale or how they decided on the result:

It has to do with the partial sum:

SN= (1 - (-x2)N+1)/ (1+x2)

The interval of consideration is (-1,1).

the reason for the lack of convergence they say: Suppose N is odd. Then it is possible to choose an x' [itex]\in[/itex](-1,1) so that (1 - (-x2)N+1) < 1/4

My question is how do they obtain that bound?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the ##S_N## you define the Nth term of the series or the sum up to N of the series?

brmath said:
Is the ##S_N## you define the Nth term of the series or the sum up to N of the series?

the Nth partial sum, so I suppose that would mean the Nth term of the series

Just to keep my own head straight let me write m = N + 1 and we have

##S_{m-1}(x) = \frac {1 - (-1)^m(x^{2m)}}{1 + x^2}##

You are writing that that regardless of m we can show that the numerator T is < 1/4 for some x. If m is even, (meaning your N+1 is even and N is odd) you have

T = ##1-x^{2m}##. If you could take x = 1 you would have T = 0. But since we are in the open interval (0,1) then take x to be something close to 1. How close x has to be to 1 depends on m. Obviously this can be made to be less than 1/4.

However there is just no way T is less than 1/4 when when m is odd, since it is 1 + (something positive).

With that said, I do believe the sequence ##S_N## converges to 1. For it to converge uniformly, you have to go back to the definition and say: given an ##\epsilon## there exists an N independent of x such that n > N ##\Rightarrow |S_N(x) -1| < \epsilon##.

I do think it is not uniform convergence, because for x = 0 you only need N =0; whereas for x close to ##\pm## 1 you may need very large N. This paragraph is not a proof of anything; it is just a thinking exercise to discern reasonableness.

Off the top of my head, I don't see what the computation on T and the 1/4 does to help you. Could you check and see whether you transcribed the problem properly. And were you supposed to prove the convergence is not uniform?

brmath said:
Just to keep my own head straight let me write m = N + 1 and we have

##S_{m-1}(x) = \frac {1 - (-1)^m(x^{2m)}}{1 + x^2}##

You are writing that that regardless of m we can show that the numerator T is < 1/4 for some x. If m is even, (meaning your N+1 is even and N is odd) you have

T = ##1-x^{2m}##. If you could take x = 1 you would have T = 0. But since we are in the open interval (0,1) then take x to be something close to 1. How close x has to be to 1 depends on m. Obviously this can be made to be less than 1/4.

However there is just no way T is less than 1/4 when when m is odd, since it is 1 + (something positive).

With that said, I do believe the sequence ##S_N## converges to 1. For it to converge uniformly, you have to go back to the definition and say: given an ##\epsilon## there exists an N independent of x such that n > N ##\Rightarrow |S_N(x) -1| < \epsilon##.

I do think it is not uniform convergence, because for x = 0 you only need N =0; whereas for x close to ##\pm## 1 you may need very large N. This paragraph is not a proof of anything; it is just a thinking exercise to discern reasonableness.

Off the top of my head, I don't see what the computation on T and the 1/4 does to help you. Could you check and see whether you transcribed the problem properly. And were you supposed to prove the convergence is not uniform?

I provided a photo of the question followed by the solution from the solution manual. It is question 1b) followed by solution b)

With that being said, I see your reasoning for the first portion stating about T = ##1-x^{2m}##, but it is drawing the conclusion of being able to make it converge to 1 and being able to draw the fact that if x = 0, you only need N = 0 whereas for x close to ± 1 you may need very large N.

How did you conclude that?

Attachments

• q 5.4.1.jpg
    q 5.4.1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 402
  • soln 5.4.1.jpg
    soln 5.4.1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 372
One thing your thumbnail shows me is that ##S_N \rightarrow 1/(1 + x^2)## which is not 1; my error.

We already discussed where they got the bound of ##S_n(x_0) < 1/4##. Now they say that ##1/(x^2 + 1) > 1/2##, which is surely true. After that I'm not quite with them. I have

##S_n(x_0) -1 < - 3/4## so that ##|S_n(x_0) -1| > 3/4## and ##\frac{|S_n(x_0) -1}{1+x^2} >\frac { 3/4}{1/2} = 3/2## This is not quite the inequality they have, and perhaps you can see where I or they went wrong. Whichever inequality it is, they are now invoking a theorem I don't know to conclude that if this expression is bounded away from 0 the convergence cannot be uniform. Perhaps they presented that theorem to you?

I would tackle it this way. Let x = q/(q+1) (for example 9/10) where q is any positive integer. Then for some m ##(q/(q+1))^{2m} < 1/2## so that ##1 - x^{2m} > 1/2##; For a larger m ##1-x^{2m} > 3/4## etc. If you choose an ##\epsilon## there exists an m such that n > m ##\Rightarrow |1-x^{2m}| < \epsilon##. So ##|1-x^{2m}| \rightarrow 1## which is what we want.

Now choose y = 100q/(100q + 1). The expression ## |1-y^{2m}|## will also converge to 1, but the m it takes to get within any given distance of 1 is larger than the m it takes when x = q/(q + 1).

I hope you can see intuitively that the larger q gets the larger m has to be, and there is no bound on the m -- it will get larger and larger as q gets larger. This means the convergence cannot be uniform because the m such n > m ##\rightarrow |1-x^{2m}|< \epsilon## depends on x.

What I wrote above is very close to a proof that the convergence is not uniform. To nail it down completely you have to show a little more explicitly that a bigger q means a bigger m. That is something like: if ##(q/(q+1))^{2m} < 1/2 ## then ##(10^kq/(10^kq + 1))^2m## is not less than 1/2 for the same m;you get to choose your k to make it work.

Since I'm not supposed to do your homework for you, I think you might try to prove the step above. To do it in general show that if ##(q/(q+1))^2m## < 1/2 there will always exist a larger number r > q such that ##(r/(r+1))^2m## > 1/2. If you choose r = ##10^kq## where k is at your discretion, that might be easiest.

Once you have show this much, replace your 1/2 with 1/p where p > 1 and show that the argument for 1/2 works just as well for 1/p. Then you are done.

I just wanted to add that the proofs provided in textbooks are not always intuitive. Sometimes one can't avoid that. But in this case I think you can avoid your textbook proof and do it along the lines I suggest.

In general with non-uniform convergence the problem is usually at one point -- in the case above x ##\rightarrow 1##. If you can figure out what point is messing up the uniformity, then you can usually figure out a proof of the non-uniformity.

1. What is uniform convergence?

Uniform convergence is a type of convergence that occurs when a sequence of functions converges to a single function in such a way that the convergence is independent of the point in the domain of the function. In other words, the convergence is uniform across the entire domain.

2. How is uniform convergence different from pointwise convergence?

Pointwise convergence occurs when a sequence of functions converges to a single function at each point in the domain, but the convergence may differ for different points. In contrast, uniform convergence ensures that the convergence is consistent across the entire domain.

3. What is the importance of uniform convergence in mathematics and science?

Uniform convergence is important because it allows for the interchange of limits and integrals in mathematical analysis. It also plays a crucial role in the study of series and their convergence, as well as in the development of numerical methods for solving differential equations and other mathematical models.

4. How is uniform convergence tested?

There are several tests for uniform convergence, including the Cauchy criterion, the Weierstrass M-test, and the Dini's test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of a sequence of functions and their derivatives to determine if they converge uniformly.

5. What are some applications of uniform convergence in real-world problems?

Uniform convergence has numerous applications in science and engineering, including in the analysis of electric circuits, the study of fluid dynamics, and the development of numerical methods for solving differential equations. It also plays a crucial role in the study of statistical models and their convergence.