1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform convergence

1. Dec 1, 2005 #1
    does Fn(x)= nx(1 - x^2)^n converge uniformly on [0,1]?
    my first instinct was yes it converges uniformly to 0
    but I cant seem to show that using the definition.

i get |nx(1 - x^2)^n|<=|nx|<=n for x in [0,1]

any tip or hint would be helpful
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the sup norm of f_n? That should give you the answer. Hint, it might help to remember basic analysis like turning points and points of infelxion....
  4. Dec 1, 2005 #3
    for n large and x really small, namely x=1/n
    i get that the sup{|f_n(x)|:x in [0,1]} = 1
    so then it doesnt converge uniformly.
    is that right?
  5. Dec 1, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That'll be right as long as you beleive that the limit, if it were to exist, were the zero function, or something like it. After all, you need to have the notional idea of what it might converge to if it were to converge (and then to show that it is not uniform convergence). So, show it converges pointwise, and then show it is not uniform (if it were uniform then it would certainly be pointwise).

I don't agree that is important we say *for n really large* and *x really small* the the sup is something, rather than for ANY n the sup is...., after all the sup norm ought to be at least something independent of the n.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?