1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform convergence

1. Dec 21, 2008 #1
    does {fn} converge uniformly? fn(x)=nx^2/1+nx

I can see that fn converges pointwise to f(x)=x. I know, for epsilon>0, I need to find N st for n >or equal to N, |fn(x)-f(x)|<epsilon.

|fn(x)-f(x)|=x/1+nx but then I am stuck.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2008 #2
    Why is that the case?
  4. Dec 21, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

To be clear, are you considering convergence on all of [tex] \mathbb{R} [/tex] or
    only on [tex] [0,1] [/tex]? Also, your sequence of functions is

f_n(x) = \frac{x}{1+nx}

correct? If it really is (as you wrote)

f_n(x) = nx^2 + nx

then it should be clear that the only place it converges is at [tex] x = 0 [/tex]. Assuming the first version is correct, continue reading.

One idea: note that

|f_n(x) - x| = \frac{x}{1+nx} \le \frac{x}{nx} = \frac 1 n \quad \forall x

Given an [tex] \epsilon > 0 [/tex], how would you choose an appropriate value of [tex] N [/tex]?
  5. Dec 21, 2008 #4
    for dirk_mec1,

fn(x) converges pointwise to x because lim as n-->infinity of fn(x) equals x.
  6. Dec 22, 2008 #5
    On what domain are these functions fn defined (like statdad already asked you) ?
  7. Dec 23, 2008 #6
    I will prefer the domain to be [0,infinity]...for x is not defined at -1/n, which makes it a bit complicated.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?