Uniform Convergence of fn: Does fn(x)=nx^2/1+nx Converge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of the sequence of functions fn(x)=nx^2/1+nx to the function f(x)=x, both defined on the domain [0, infinity]. The concept of pointwise convergence is mentioned and the idea of choosing an appropriate value for N is brought up to show the convergence. There is also a brief mention of the domain of these functions being [0, infinity].
math8
does {fn} converge uniformly? fn(x)=nx^2/1+nx

I can see that fn converges pointwise to f(x)=x. I know, for epsilon>0, I need to find N st for n >or equal to N, |fn(x)-f(x)|<epsilon.

|fn(x)-f(x)|=x/1+nx but then I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
math8 said:
does {fn} converge uniformly? fn(x)=nx^2/1+nx

I can see that fn converges pointwise to f(x)=x.
Why is that the case?

To be clear, are you considering convergence on all of [tex] \mathbb{R} [/tex] or
only on [tex] [0,1] [/tex]? Also, your sequence of functions is

[tex]
f_n(x) = \frac{x}{1+nx}
[/tex]

correct? If it really is (as you wrote)

[tex]
f_n(x) = nx^2 + nx
[/tex]

then it should be clear that the only place it converges is at [tex] x = 0 [/tex]. Assuming the first version is correct, continue reading.

One idea: note that

[tex]
|f_n(x) - x| = \frac{x}{1+nx} \le \frac{x}{nx} = \frac 1 n \quad \forall x
[/tex]

Given an [tex] \epsilon > 0 [/tex], how would you choose an appropriate value of [tex] N [/tex]?

for dirk_mec1,

fn(x) converges pointwise to x because lim as n-->infinity of fn(x) equals x.

math8 said:
for dirk_mec1,

fn(x) converges pointwise to x because lim as n-->infinity of fn(x) equals x.

On what domain are these functions fn defined (like statdad already asked you) ?

I will prefer the domain to be [0,infinity]...for x is not defined at -1/n, which makes it a bit complicated.

1. What is the definition of uniform convergence?

Uniform convergence is a type of convergence in which a sequence of functions converges to a limit function at a uniform rate on a given interval. This means that the difference between each function in the sequence and the limit function becomes arbitrarily small as the sequence progresses.

2. How is uniform convergence different from pointwise convergence?

Pointwise convergence is a type of convergence in which a sequence of functions converges to a limit function at each point in the given interval. This means that for each value of x, the difference between each function in the sequence and the limit function becomes arbitrarily small as the sequence progresses. In contrast, uniform convergence requires that the difference between each function and the limit function becomes arbitrarily small at a uniform rate for all values of x in the given interval.

3. How can we determine if a sequence of functions converges uniformly?

A sequence of functions converges uniformly on a given interval if and only if the limit of the sequence exists and the difference between each function in the sequence and the limit function becomes arbitrarily small as the sequence progresses. This can be determined by analyzing the behavior of the sequence as a whole rather than at individual points.

4. Does the sequence of functions fn(x)=nx^2/1+nx converge uniformly?

No, the sequence of functions fn(x)=nx^2/1+nx does not converge uniformly on any interval. This can be proven by showing that the difference between each function in the sequence and the limit function, which is f(x)=0, does not become arbitrarily small at a uniform rate for all values of x in any interval.

5. What is the importance of uniform convergence in mathematical analysis?

Uniform convergence is important in mathematical analysis because it allows us to study the behavior of a sequence of functions as a whole rather than at individual points. This can provide insights into the properties and behavior of the limit function, and it is also a necessary condition for being able to exchange limits and integrals in certain situations.