1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Convergence

1. Sep 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Alright, here is the problem. Given a compact metric space [tex]X[/tex], and a sequence of functions fn which are continuous and [tex]f_{n}:X->R[/tex] (reals), also [tex]f_n->f[/tex] (where f is an arbitrary function [tex]f:X->R[/tex]). Also, given any convergent sequence in [tex]X[/tex] [tex]x_{n}->x[/tex], [tex]f_{n}(x_{n})->f(x)[/tex]. The problem is to show that fn converges uniformly to f.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Alright, I can prove this relatively easily if I can prove that f (the limit function) is continuous. However, I don't know if this is possible, does anyone see a way to do this? Only little hints if you see a way.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2010 #2
    Nevermind continuity, I don't think the continuity of f directly matters in this situation. However, maybe a start on the problem would be to assume that f is not uniformly continuous, and then, picking an epsilon e>0, for each n, pick one x in X such that |fn(x)-f(x)|>=e, and so create a sequence of points in X, which then must have a convergent subsequence due to the compactness of X. From there on, I am stumped, even if this is the correct way to solve the problem.
  4. Sep 5, 2010 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would think proof by contradiction is a good way to go. If the fn do not converge to f uniformly, then for all [tex]\epsilon[/tex], there exists an infinite subsequence of functions [tex]f_{n_k}[/tex] such that for each such function, there is a point [tex]x_{n_k}[/tex] with [tex]|f(x_{n_k})-f_{n_k}(x_{n_k})|>\epsilon[/tex]

Relabel these sequences as [tex]f_k[/tex] and [tex]x_k[/tex] for convenience. [tex]x_k[/tex] has a convergent subsequence which we will label [tex]y_k[/tex]. Now let [tex]f_k[/tex] just be the functions corresponding to the points [tex]y_k[/tex]

What can you say about [tex]|f(y_k)-f_k(y_k)|[/tex]
  5. Sep 5, 2010 #4
    Haha, took a walk and that's exactly what came to me. I think I had a proof of a similar theorem stuck in my head and wanted to follow that technique.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook