1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform convergence

1. Oct 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to show that [itex]f_{n}[/itex]=sin([itex]\frac{z}{n}[/itex]) converges uniformly to 0.

2. Relevant equations
    So I need to find K([itex]\epsilon[/itex]) such that [itex]\forall[/itex][itex]n \geq K[/itex]
    |sin([itex]\frac{z}{n}[/itex])|<[itex]\epsilon[/itex]

I'm trying to prove this in an annulus: [itex]\alpha\leq |z| \leq\beta[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm having trouble because no matter what I choose for K I can't get the epsilon to come out.
    I'm trying something like K([itex]\epsilon[/itex])=[itex]\frac{1}{\alpha\epsilon}[/itex].

My problem is that I can't say that sin([itex]\frac{z}{n}[/itex])<sin([itex]\frac{\alpha}{n}[/itex])

Which is how I've been doing these uniform convergence ones (recasting in terms of [itex]\alpha[/itex] instead of z).

Anyways I was hoping I could get some help on how to proceed.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try using the fact that [itex]|\sin(x)| \leq |x|[/itex] for all [itex]x[/itex].

4. Oct 6, 2012 #3
    Does that work for complex numbers too? It strikes me that if y=Im(z), then sin(z)<=cosh(y) ??

Writing z as z=x+iy, then sin(z)=[itex]\frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}[/itex] becomes: [itex]\frac{1}{2i}[/itex]([itex]e^{-y+ix}[/itex]-[itex]e^{y-ix}[/itex]) Then taking the magnitude and using the triangle inequality, it seems it'd come to [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]|[itex]e^{y}[/itex]|+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]|[itex]e^{-y}[/itex]|

So then I can't use |sin(z)|[itex]\leq[/itex]|z| ????

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  5. Oct 7, 2012 #4
    Any suggestions? Or comments?

6. Oct 7, 2012 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, I didn't notice you were working with complex numbers. In that case if we write [itex]z = x + iy[/itex], then
    [tex]\sin(z) = \sin(x) \cosh(y) + i \cos(x) \sinh(y)[/tex]
    so
    [tex]|\sin(z)| \leq |\sin(x) \cosh(y)| + |\cos(x) \sinh(y)| \leq
    |\cosh(y)| + |\sinh(y)|[/tex]
    Therefore,
    [tex]|\sin(z/n)| \leq |\cosh(y/n)| + |\sinh(y/n)|[/tex]
    So the problem reduces to showing that cosh(y/n) and sinh(y/n) converge uniformly to zero in the annulus as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook