Proving Uniform Convergence of ##s_n(x)## to ##s(x)## on ##[b, ∞)##

In summary: I think the best way to do this is to choose ##N_2## to be the same as ##N_1##. That is, choose ##N_2 = N_1##.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Suppose that ##s_n(x)## converges uniformly to ##s(x)## on ##[b, ∞)##.

If ##lim_{x→∞} s_n(x) = a_n## for each n and ##lim_{n→∞} a_n = a## prove that :

##lim_{x→∞} s(x) = a##

Homework Equations

##\space ε/N##

The Attempt at a Solution

I see a quick way to do this one using first principle definitions.

##\forall ε>0, \exists N(ε) \space | \space n > N(ε) \Rightarrow |s_n(x) - s(x)| < ε/3, \space \forall x \in [b, ∞)##

##\forall ε>0, \exists N_1 \space | \space x > N_1 \Rightarrow |s_n(x) - a_n| < ε/3##

##\forall ε>0, \exists N_2 \space | \space n > N_2 \Rightarrow |a_n - a| < ε/3##

We want to prove :

##\forall ε>0, \exists N \space | \space x > N \Rightarrow |s(x) - a| < ε##

So :

##|s(x) - a| = |s(x) - s_n(x) + s_n(x) - a_n + a_n - a| ≤ |s_n(x) - s(x)| + |s_n(x) - a_n| + |a_n - a| < ε/3 + ε/3 + ε/3 = ε##

Does this look okay?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zondrina said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that ##s_n(x)## converges uniformly to ##s(x)## on ##[b, ∞)##.

If ##lim_{x→∞} s_n(x) = a_n## for each n and ##lim_{n→∞} a_n = a## prove that :

##lim_{x→∞} s(x) = a##

Homework Equations

##\space ε/N##

The Attempt at a Solution

I see a quick way to do this one using first principle definitions.

##\forall ε>0, \exists N(ε) \space | \space n > N(ε) \Rightarrow |s_n(x) - s(x)| < ε/3, \space \forall x \in [b, ∞)##

##\forall ε>0, \exists N_1 \space | \space x > N_1 \Rightarrow |s_n(x) - a_n| < ε/3##

##\forall ε>0, \exists N_2 \space | \space n > N_2 \Rightarrow |a_n - a| < ε/3##

We want to prove :

##\forall ε>0, \exists N \space | \space x > N \Rightarrow |s(x) - a| < ε##

So :

##|s(x) - a| = |s(x) - s_n(x) + s_n(x) - a_n + a_n - a| ≤ |s_n(x) - s(x)| + |s_n(x) - a_n| + |a_n - a| < ε/3 + ε/3 + ε/3 = ε##

Does this look okay?

Almost. You should have an N1, N2, N3 in the first three statements. Then you just want to say how your final N is related to those three N's.

Dick said:
Almost. You should have an N1, N2, N3 in the first three statements. Then you just want to say how your final N is related to those three N's.

Ah, I see. I thought being explicit about ##N(ε)## would make the context clear.

So I should also say choosing ##N = max\{N_1, N_2, N_3\}##?

Zondrina said:
Ah, I see. I thought being explicit about ##N(ε)## would make the context clear.

So I should also say choosing ##N = max\{N_1, N_2, N_3\}##?

Yes, that's it. But now that I've stared at it for a bit there is a second problem. The ##N_2## is also going to depend on n. There's a bit more work to do. You have to choose an ##N_2## independent of n.

Last edited:

1. What is uniform convergence?

Uniform convergence is a type of convergence in mathematics where a sequence of functions approaches a single limiting function in a way that is consistent and uniform across the entire domain. This means that the functions in the sequence get closer to the limiting function at the same rate, regardless of the input value.

2. How is uniform convergence different from pointwise convergence?

The main difference between uniform convergence and pointwise convergence is in the way the functions in the sequence get closer to the limiting function. With pointwise convergence, the functions may approach the limiting function at different rates for different input values. Uniform convergence ensures that the functions approach the limiting function at the same rate for all input values.

3. How is uniform convergence on [b, ∞) different from uniform convergence on a closed and bounded interval?

Uniform convergence on [b, ∞) refers to a sequence of functions that converge uniformly on the interval [b, ∞), meaning that they approach the limiting function at the same rate for all input values greater than or equal to b. On the other hand, uniform convergence on a closed and bounded interval means that the functions converge uniformly on the entire interval, including the endpoints.

4. What is the significance of proving uniform convergence on [b, ∞)?

Proving uniform convergence on [b, ∞) is important because it allows us to generalize the convergence of a sequence of functions to a larger interval. This means that we can confidently use the limiting function to make predictions and approximations for all input values greater than or equal to b.

5. What techniques are commonly used to prove uniform convergence on [b, ∞)?

There are several techniques that can be used to prove uniform convergence on [b, ∞), including the Cauchy criterion, the Weierstrass M-test, and the Dini's theorem. These techniques involve analyzing the behavior of the sequence of functions in relation to the limiting function and using mathematical tools such as inequalities and limits to show that the functions converge uniformly on [b, ∞).