1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform convergence

1. Nov 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is the sequence of function ##f_1, f_2,f_3,\ldots## on ##[0,1]## uniformly convergent if ##f_n(x) = \frac{x}{1+nx^2}##?

2. The attempt at a solution

I got the following but I think I did it wrong.

For ##f_n(x) = \frac{x}{1+nx^2}##, I got if ##f_n \to0## then we must find ##\epsilon>0## an ##N## such that for ##n>N## implies ##|f_n-0|<\epsilon.## So ##f_n(x) = \frac{x}{1+nx^2}##; ##\lim_{n\to\infty}f_n(x) =0##. Then for ##\epsilon>0## we have ##|f_n(x)-f(x)| = |\frac{x}{1+nx^2}|\le |\frac{1}{1+n}|<|\frac{1}{n}|<\epsilon## thus ##N = \frac{1}{\epsilon}##. But I think this is wrong since ##|1+nx^2|<|1+n|##? How can I show it is uniformly convergent?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##f_n \rightarrow 0## uniformly if and only if ##\sup f_n \rightarrow 0##. So I would suggest that you start by finding the maximum value of ##f_n##.

4. Nov 4, 2013 #3
    jbunniii -

We haven't been taught that way yet. We still haven't defined "derivative" or proved ##f_n \to 0## uniformly iff ##\sup f_n \to 0## so I can't use it to prove my problem. What I was thinking is how can I divide into two regions?

5. Nov 4, 2013 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Consider the denominator: ##1 + nx^2##. This is not quite a perfect square, but it would be if we added the missing term (actually, subtracting is more useful here): ##1 - 2\sqrt{n} x + nx^2 = (1 - \sqrt{n}x)^2##. Now this is a square, so it is nonnegative. What can you conclude?

6. Nov 4, 2013 #5
    Thanks, jbunniii for the hint!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted