Solving Rolling Disk Homework: Find V, ω, KE Rot & Trans

In summary, a solid uniform disk with a radius of 0.250 m and a mass of 55.0 kg rolls down a 15-degree incline from rest. The speed of its center of mass at the bottom of the incline is 1.30 m/s and its angular speed is 5.20 m/s. Its rotational and translational kinetic energies can be solved for using the equations PE = KErotational + KEtranslational and I = 1/2mr^2. The equation \alpha = 2gsin\Theta/3R can be used to solve for either V or \omega.
nopistons93

Homework Statement

A solid uniform disk of radius 0.250 m and mass 55.0 kg rolls down an incline that makes an angle of 15 degrees with the horizontal. The disk starts from rest from the top of the ramp. Find the speed of the disk's center of mass when it reaches the bottom of the ramp(linear speed), its angular speed omega at that point and its KE rotational and KE translational energies.

Homework Equations

V(linear) = [tex]omega[/tex]*R
[tex]\alpha[/tex]=R*[tex]\omega[/tex]2
v=R*[tex]\omega[/tex]
a=R*[tex]\alpha[/tex]

PE = KErotational + KEtranslational

I = 1/2mr2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for I and got 1.72 kg * m^2 however without height or length I can't solve for the PE side inorder to get the KE.

I've seen the equation [tex]\alpha[/tex]=2gsin[tex]\Theta[/tex]/3R and that's the only thing I've noticed that would allow me to solve for either V or [tex]\omega[/tex] in this case. Am I missing something here, some equation which relates another way to this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org

ok so deriving the formula a = g*sin(theta)/1.5 , I found out that a = 1.69 m/s^2

since alpha = a/r , I found alpha to be 6.76 m/s^2.

since alpha=r*omega^s , i found omega to be 5.20 m/s again.

Solving for v from (v=r*omega), I found v equal to 1.30 m/s

i then plugged these numbers into the KE formulas to solve for them. Does that sound right?

nopistons93 said:
I've seen the equation [tex]\alpha[/tex]=2gsin[tex]\Theta[/tex]/3R and that's the only thing I've noticed that would allow me to solve for either V or [tex]\omega[/tex] in this case. Am I missing something here, some equation which relates another way to this problem?

This equations is actually easily derived. Just start working out the problem assuming you do have h (height), use PE = KE. You will end up with [tex]Vcm^2 = \frac{4gh}{3}[/tex]. You then need to remember the equation [tex]V^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad[/tex]. Since Vi = 0, you will be able to plug in that equation for V^2 and get the equation you mentioned (noticed that h (height) cancels out, so it is not needed)

im not understanding whre the Vcm^2 = 4gh/3 is coming from though..

all right well you start out with mgh = 1/2 I(omega)^2 + 1/2 1/2 mv^2. I = 1/2mr^2 as you said. omega = v/r. After a little algebra you should arrive at Vcm^2 = 4gh/3

ok exactly what I was looking for there man. thank you very much\

hey crypto,

im at the point..

2*a*d*sin(theta)=4gh/3

that reduces to a = 2g/3sin(theta) for some reason..

that's right, it's pretty much the same equation as you wrote, divide both sides by r (radius), and you will get [tex]\alpha = \frac{2gsin(\theta)}{3R}[/tex]

well my equation yields 25.42 while the correct one yields 1.69

you mean for a (acceleration)? didn't you get 1.69 a couple posts back?

Yes, just putting radius in the formula gives you alpha. I do understand I think I'm just writing down my algebra wrong.

1. How do I approach solving a rolling disk homework problem?

To solve a rolling disk homework problem, you should first identify the known and unknown variables, which typically include the velocity (V), angular velocity (ω), and kinetic energy (KE) in both rotational and translational forms. You should also have a clear understanding of the concepts of rotational and translational motion, as well as the relationships between these variables.

2. What are the equations that can be used to solve for V, ω, KE Rot & Trans?

The equations that can be used to solve for V, ω, KE Rot & Trans depend on the given information and the specific problem. However, some commonly used equations include V = ωr, KE Rot = 1/2Iω², KE Trans = 1/2mv², and the conservation of energy equation, KE Rot + KE Trans = total KE.

3. Can I use the same approach for all types of rolling disk problems?

No, the approach for solving rolling disk problems may vary depending on the given information and the specific problem. Some problems may require the use of additional equations or concepts, such as torque and moment of inertia, to determine the unknown variables. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.

4. What units should I use when solving for V, ω, KE Rot & Trans?

When solving for V, ω, KE Rot & Trans, it is important to use consistent units throughout the calculations. Common units for these variables include meters per second (m/s) for velocity, radians per second (rad/s) for angular velocity, and joules (J) for kinetic energy. It is also important to pay attention to the units of the given information and make any necessary conversions before using the equations.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving rolling disk problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving rolling disk problems include using incorrect or inconsistent units, not considering the effects of friction, and not properly applying the equations. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, use the correct equations, and double-check all calculations to ensure accuracy.