1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform distribution

1. May 4, 2013 #1
    http://gyazo.com/b031e9d54f9512e5a583a4ed0ea28a0a

the answer is 2/3:

my attempt:
    one side X~U[1,7]

the longer part of this side, call Y, where Y~[4,7]

P(Y>6) = 1/3

don't see how they got 2/3, they have 3 different methods in the answers, but none doing my method.

I'm thinking, as there are two sides in the rectangle and I've only limited mine to one side then if I multiply that by 2 I'll get the answer - or is that even relevant?

I'll give another example where I used my method and it works:

http://gyazo.com/a582f228a9dd22370303f25b69d5bf6c

part c)

the shorter side can be distributed by X~U[0,10]

P(X>8) = 1/5 which is the answer, but this doesn't work for the original method. Any ideas why? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2013 #2

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

I agree that X ~ U[1,7].

Where are you getting that Y ~ U[4,7]?

I would think that instead Y~U[3,9], where Y is the length of the other side. If one side of the rectangle is 1 cm, then the other side must be 9 cm. Similarly, if one side of the rectangle is 7 cm, the other side must be 3 cm. So Y ~ U[3,9]. Do you see where to go from here?

Is this an Edexcel S2 question?

4. May 4, 2013 #3
    Yes it is

I got Y ~ U[4,7] where Y is the longer side, by setting Y as the longer side (not the other side). Median length is 4, so for Y to be the longer side, it has to be between [4,7].

I get the correct answer Y ~ U[3,9] where Y is the other side, and doing P(X>6) + P(Y>6), but I don't see why it doesn't work using the above method.

5. May 4, 2013 #4

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

I don't follow your reasoning. Your distribution doesn't represent Y to be the longer side. If Y ~ U[4,7], what happens when 5 < X < 7? Clearly, X is then the longer side.

6. May 4, 2013 #5
    hm, I'm just confused now.

If they are asking for one side, and if Y ~ U[3,9] then why do we have to consider the other side (i.e X). Why can't we just consider Y

7. May 4, 2013 #6

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

They are asking what happens when the longer side is greater than 6 cm.

If X ~ U[1,7] and Y~U[3,9], then either side can be longer than 6 cm. We can have X > 6, or Y > 6. We can't just consider Y, because X can be larger than 6 cm also. Does that make sense?

8. May 4, 2013 #7
    that makes sense

but if you see in the second example, I split up the whole length and I just considered the shorter side (which is what I tried to do when doing the mock), but it didn't work :\.

9. May 4, 2013 #8

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

You mean this?

I agree with the reasoning above. The shorter side must be between 0 and 10, otherwise it isn't the shorter side by definition.

10. May 4, 2013 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the first question above: let Y be the OTHER (not longest) side and let Z = max(X,Y) be the length of the longest side. We have X+Y=10, so Y = 10 - X. We have Z = X if X > Y = 10-X, so Z = X if X > 5. Of course, Z = 10-X if X < 5. Draw a graph of the function Z(x) = max(x,10-x) for 4 <= x <= 7. What is the smallest value of Z(x)? What is the largest value? For what x-region do we have Z(x) > 6? What is the probability of that x-region?

BTW: I agree with your answer: P{Z > 6} = 1/3.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted