How Do You Calculate the Uniform Electric Field Between Two Plates?

In summary, to find the uniform electric field between two plates, you can use the formula Energy (J) / (Charge (C) * Separation (m)) = Electric field. This can be calculated using the given values of energy and distance between the plates, without needing the voltage. A volt is a joule per coulomb and the electric field can be measured in units of volts per meter.
grscott_2000
Can someone tell me the correct formula to use to find the uniform electric field between two plates? I can do this using a point charge but I'm assuming that this is different.

I am given the energy of an electron (as it is an electron I also know the charge) and the distance between the plates but I am not given a voltage.

Is there a way I can calculate the electric field using just these values?

Physics news on Phys.org
grscott_2000 said:
Is there a way I can calculate the electric field using just these values?
Yes.

Here's a hint. A "volt" is a "joule per coulomb" and the electric field can be measured in units of "volts per meter"

Ok, might this be

Energy(j) x Charge(C) = Electric Field (Vm-1)
Separation(m)

Hmm, maybe thinking about it I might be wrong here...

If a volt is joule per coulomb, it should be written JC^-1 indicating that the C value should be on the bottom, so maybe it should be

Energy(J) / (Charge(C) * Seperation(M)) = Electric field

Last edited:
grscott_2000 said:
Ok, might this be

Energy(j) x Charge(C) = Electric Field (Vm-1)
Separation(m)

Hmm, maybe thinking about it I might be wrong here...

If a volt is joule per coulomb, it should be written JC^-1 indicating that the C value should be on the bottom, so maybe it should be

Energy(J) / (Charge(C) * Seperation(M)) = Electric field

yes you are correct

1. What is a uniform electric field?

A uniform electric field is a type of electric field in which the magnitude and direction of the field are constant at every point in space. This means that the strength of the electric field does not change, and the field lines are parallel and evenly spaced.

2. How is a uniform electric field created?

A uniform electric field is created by placing two parallel plates with opposite charges close together. The electric field lines between the plates are parallel and evenly spaced, creating a uniform electric field between them.

3. What are the properties of a uniform electric field?

The properties of a uniform electric field include the constant magnitude and direction of the field, evenly spaced field lines, and the potential for work to be done on a charge moving through the field.

4. What is the formula for calculating the strength of a uniform electric field?

The formula for calculating the strength of a uniform electric field is E = V/d, where E is the electric field strength in volts per meter, V is the potential difference between the plates in volts, and d is the distance between the plates in meters.

5. What are some real-world applications of uniform electric fields?

Uniform electric fields have various applications in everyday life, such as in the operation of capacitors and parallel-plate capacitors in electronic devices, particle accelerators, and photocopiers. They are also used in experiments and demonstrations to study the behavior of charged particles in an electric field.