1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Force and Work

1. Oct 17, 2005 #1
    Hello, I need some help on a two part question. Thanks in advance!

Consider a uniform force, similar to the gravitation force but pointing at an angle µ to the vertical direction, F = ma sin µ ¡ ma cos µ j (i and j represent vector notation...)

1) What is the minimum work required to move a point mass with mass equal to m from the origin (0,0) to a point P (x,y)? (answer in vector notation in terms of µ)

2) in what direction r (also a vector) is the potential energy constant?

Thanks so much for all your help!

EDIT: I forgot to post my current work. Ive tried to mess with changing the axis so I can treat the force like gravity. I know that the force is conservative, so the work required to move the mass from point A to point B is the same no matter what path is taken. I'm just really having trouble getting an answer in terms of the angle in vector notation... As for part 2, I would guess it would be in the direction oposite of the uniform force being applied, but when i submitted what i got for that answer, it came back as wrong.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2005 #2

Diane_

Homework Helper

You have the force resolved into orthogonal components, so for all practical purposes you can treat them as independent of each other. Work out the work in the i direction and the work in the j direction, then add them. You'll get the direction with a little Euclidean geometry - just make a sketch and I think you'll see what I mean.

4. Oct 17, 2005 #3
    Thanks, that did help! I got the first part, but before I try to crank out an answer to the second part of the question can you tell me if my line of thinking is correct as far as what I say in the original post? Maybe give me a boost in the right direction again? Thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?