1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Linear Charge

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A nonconducting rod of length L = 8.15cm has charge -q = -4.23 fC uniformly distributed along its length. What are the magnitude and direction [relative to the positive direction of the x axis] of the electric field produced at point P, a distance a = 12.0cm from the rod?

NOTE: In the illustration, the rod and P are along the x axis, and P is to the right of the rod (assumed to be the positive end).

2. Relevant equations
    dE = dq/(4*pi*E0*r2)
    dq = Lambda*dx
    E0 = permeativity of free space = 8.85x10-12
    Lambda = linear charge density = q/L

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure how 'L' and 'a' are to replace 'r' in the equation above. I have tried r = L + a, but it seems this method does not correctly describe the situation. I then tried to integrate the equation along the limits from 0 to L, but am not sure how to include the additional distance of 'a' into the equation. This seems like a fairly simple question, but my text does not extensively pursue this topic.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2
    what you have to compute is [tex] \int_0^L \frac {dq} { 4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2} [/tex]

where r = the distance from the charge element dq to the point P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook