Uniform magnetic field problem

In summary, a proton traveling at a speed of 106 m/s with a mass of 1.7×10-27 kg and a charge of 1.6×10-19 C enters a region of space with a uniform magnetic field of 1.2 T. The time required for the proton to re-emerge into the field-free region can be calculated using the formula t=πr/v. When the numbers are plugged in, the resulting time is 2.8 x 10-8s, which is the correct answer to 2 significant figures.
ahazen
A proton (mass= 1.7×10-27 kg, charge= 1.6×10-19 C) traveling with speed 106 m/s enters a region of space containing a uniform magnetic field of 1.2 T.
What is the time t required for the proton to re-emerge into the field-free region?

I plugged the numbers into r=mv/qB and then t=pi r/ v

I got 2.7815 e-18 but the homework online says I am off by a power of ten.
Anyone know where I went wrong?
Thank you:)

Physics news on Phys.org

I get 2.8 x 10-8s [to 2 sig figs]
Without seeing your calculation I don't know where you went wrong.
The method is correct. Just check your powers of 10 again.

Thank you so much for all your help:) The homework online says your answer is correct:)

Related to Uniform magnetic field problem

1. What is a uniform magnetic field?

A uniform magnetic field is a type of magnetic field that has the same strength and direction at all points in the space it occupies. This means that the magnetic field lines are evenly spaced and parallel to each other.

2. How is a uniform magnetic field created?

A uniform magnetic field can be created by passing an electric current through a straight wire or by using a special type of magnet called a solenoid. A solenoid is a coil of wire that generates a uniform magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it.

3. What is the significance of a uniform magnetic field?

Uniform magnetic fields are important in many applications, such as in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, particle accelerators, and cathode ray tubes. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields.

4. How is the strength of a uniform magnetic field measured?

The strength of a uniform magnetic field is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G). One tesla is equal to 10,000 gauss, and it is a measure of the magnetic flux density. The strength of a magnetic field can also be measured using a magnetometer.

5. What are some real-life examples of uniform magnetic fields?

Some real-life examples of uniform magnetic fields include the Earth's magnetic field, the magnetic field inside an MRI machine, and the magnetic field inside a cathode ray tube used in televisions and computer monitors.