1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform magnetic field

1. Dec 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A stone with a negative net charge of 0.010C is given a constant horizontal motion in a uniform magnetic field in the direction pointing into the page. The field's strength is 1.70T. How fast does the stone have to move in order for it to remain moving horizontally, without any vertical deviation?

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    The stone travels perpendicular to the force, so I think regardless of velocity, there will be vertical deviation.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2009 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

Yes, that seems right. :confused:

Maybe they intend you to lay the paper flat, so that the B field is pointing downwards?

4. Dec 14, 2009 #3
    The question's diagram shows the magnetic field pointing into page, so I suppose its a "trick" question. Nevertheless, thank you for your help. I spent a long time looking at this because its the last question on the list.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook