1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform motion/speed

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I was wondering if uniform motion and uniform speed were one in the same things? Also (if they are both identical) is acquisition of perfect uniform motion plausible?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2
    Define moviment

4. Jun 15, 2011 #3
    sorry... define motion

5. Jun 15, 2011 #4
    If I were to guess at the meaning of it, I would say it is the displacement of an object from a particular frame of reference.

6. Jun 15, 2011 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Are you trying to distinguish uniform velocity from uniform speed?

7. Jun 15, 2011 #6

BruceW

Homework Helper

No, I think he's asking what uniform speed and uniform motion mean.
    And in answer, I'd say yes they are the same thing.
    The only place I've heard the term 'uniform motion' mentioned is by Albert Einstein, in which he uses it to mean the same thing as uniform speed (if I read it correctly).

8. Jun 15, 2011 #7

BruceW

Homework Helper

Oh, wait. Actually, I think uniform motion means uniform speed in a straight line.
    So, yes I guess uniform motion means uniform velocity.

9. Jun 15, 2011 #8

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I'd say that when Einstein speaks of uniform motion, he means uniform velocity, not just uniform speed.

10. Jun 15, 2011 #9

BruceW

Homework Helper

Yes, sorry I realised I got that wrong :(

11. Jun 15, 2011 #10

BruceW

Homework Helper

and about "is acquisition of perfect uniform motion plausible":
    In classical physics, this is what happens when there are no forces on an object, so in principle it is possible, but practically, you'd only be able to do it approximately.
    But, due to general relativity, a uniform reference frame is not required for the laws of physics to work, so you don't need to worry about whether perfect uniform motion can be practically achieved.

12. Jun 15, 2011 #11
    Well, thank you very much everyone, I appreciate your insight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook