1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Random Variables

1. May 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If X is a random variable uniformly distributed over (0,1), and a, b are constants, what can you say about the random variable aX + b? What about X^2?

2. Relevant equations

For uniformity of notation, let

f(x) = probability density function of x
    F(a) = distribution function of x
    g(x) = density function of Y = aX + b
    G(a) = distr function of Y
    h(x) = density function of Z = X^2
    H(a) = distr function of Z

3. The attempt at a solution

I came across this problem as I was studying for finals, and wasn't quite sure about the answer. I've been stumped for the past two days, and created an account here out of hopelessness just so I could ask this question (so please help? it's not even for a grade, I promise!). I think the answer is that aX + b is uniform, and that X^2 is not. Here's my attempt at a derivation:

G(Y) = P{Y < y) = P{aX+b < y) = P{X < (y-b)/a} = F((y-b)/a)
    Now I differentiate with respect to y:
    g(y) = d/dy (G(y)) = d/dy (F((y-b)/a)) = 1/a * f((y-b)/a) by chain rule

Since the integral of the probability density function of anything is 1, I integrated g(y) from x=0 to x=1, i.e. y = -b/a to (1-b)/a after modifying the original (0,1) bounds. At this point, I got confused because I wasn't entirely sure if the bounds are supposed to be changed that way, and I'm not sure whether I should be integrating over x or y. Heck, I have no idea if I'm overthinking the problem in the first place.

Next, I attempted the same thing for X^2 by trying to follow a similar thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=398718

Putting the result from that thread into my notation, I think that the distribution and density functions of X^2 would be:
    H(x) = 1 - F(-sqrt x) + F(sqrt x) = 1 + F(sqrt x)
    h(x) = [1/(2 sqrt x)] * (h(sqrt x))

I feel like there's something very simple that I don't understand yet. Please enlighten me!

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You haven't really missed anything. Your treatment may be longer than necessary, but it is OK.

4. May 3, 2014 #3
    Thank you for the response! Was my conclusion that ax+b is uniform correct? I am uncertain about how it can fit the form for a uniform distribution.

5. May 3, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course Y = aX+b is uniformly distributed, and your derivation was correct: on a range of y, the cdf ##P(Y \leq y)## is linear in ##y##, so the derivative is constant over the range.

6. May 3, 2014 #5
    OHHH. To confirm my understanding, a cdf with a constant derivative (with respect to a uniform random variable) would therefore have a constant density, and thus would be uniform as well. Was that a correct statement?

7. May 3, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you know the answer to that! Just use the definitions, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted