Finding Equation of Motion for Oscillations Using Lagrangian Methods

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Lagrangian methods to find the equation of motion for a rigid straight uniform bar attached to a fixed wall with a spring support. The goal is to find the angular frequency of small oscillations about the equilibrium position. After setting up the Lagrangian as L = K - V, where K is the kinetic energy and V is the potential energy, and using the equation d/dt(dL/dthetaDOT) = dL/dtheta, the angular frequency is found to be \omega = a/L * \sqrt{3k/m}. This solution was found for a Lagrangian Mechanics module in a Physics course.
James1991
1. A rigid straight uniform bar of mass m and length l is attached by a frictionless hinge
at one end to a fixed wall so that it can move in a vertical plane. At a distance a from
the hinge it is supported by a spring of stiffness constant k, as shown in the figure

Ignoring gravitational effects, make use of Lagrangian methods to find the equation of
motion for small oscillations about the position of equilibrium (in which the bar is
horizontal) and show that the angular frequency of the motion is

[tex]\omega[/tex] = a/L * [tex]\sqrt{}3k/m[/tex]

Where a is the length from the wall to the spring along the rod and L is the length of the rod

Homework Equations

F=-kx
U=1/2kx^2
I = 1/3ML^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Right so i think the inertia of the rod is 1/3ML^2
and i tried to set up the lagrangian
as L = K - V
where K = M[tex]\omega^2{}[/tex]theta*x^2
and V = 1/2kx^2

and i did d/dt(dL/dthetaDOT) = dL/dtheta
but it didnt work at all tbh, maybe i don't need to do it via this method, either way I'm abit lost as to what to do next and I've spent ages on it now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
:)

Physics news on Phys.org

You forgot to attach the figure.
Where did you get this question from?
Do you mind telling what course you are pursuing?

It's from a Lagrangian Mechanics module I'm doing. I'm studying Physics.
I managed to do the question in the end :)

1. What is the Lagrangian method for finding the equation of motion for oscillations?

The Lagrangian method is a mathematical approach used to describe the motion of a system by considering the kinetic and potential energy of the system, rather than using Newton's laws of motion. It involves using a Lagrangian function, which is the difference between the system's kinetic and potential energy, and solving for the system's equations of motion using the principle of least action.

2. How is the Lagrangian method different from Newton's laws of motion?

Unlike Newton's laws of motion, which use forces to determine the equations of motion for a system, the Lagrangian method uses the system's kinetic and potential energy to describe its motion. This method is often more efficient and elegant for solving complex systems with multiple degrees of freedom.

3. Can the Lagrangian method be used for any type of oscillating system?

Yes, the Lagrangian method can be used for any type of oscillating system, including simple harmonic motion, pendulums, and spring-mass systems. It is also applicable to non-oscillating systems, making it a versatile tool for analyzing the motion of physical systems.

4. What are the advantages of using the Lagrangian method for finding equations of motion?

The Lagrangian method offers several advantages over traditional methods, including a more elegant and efficient approach to solving complex systems, a deeper understanding of the system's energy and dynamics, and the ability to easily incorporate constraints and non-conservative forces into the equations of motion.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian method for finding equations of motion?

The Lagrangian method may not always be the most efficient or practical approach for solving equations of motion, especially for simpler systems that can be easily solved using Newton's laws. It also requires a strong understanding of calculus and mechanics, which can make it challenging for beginners to use.