1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform rod problem

1. Sep 6, 2007 #1
    _______-^y
    ________l
    ________l
    ________l
    ________l

Sorry for the bad picture, but suppose there's a uniform rod of charge has a length L and a net charge +Q, find the force that this rod exert on a point charge q placed at (0,y).

Ok, I found by symmetry that the F(x) is 0.
    [tex]\lambda[/tex]=dQ/dl

So, F(y) = [tex]\int[/tex] k[tex]\lambda[/tex]qcos[tex]\Theta[/tex](dl)/ (l^2 + y^2) , [-L/2, L/2]

And since y/r=cos[tex]\Theta[/tex], r= ysec[tex]\Theta[/tex], where r = (l^2 + y^2)

Then it boils down to 2kqy[tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] (dl)/ (y^3(sec[tex]\Theta[/tex])^3) , [0, L/2]

Then I don't know how to carry on without using the integral table....
    But it should be something like this and i don't know why:
    F(y) = 2kqy[tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\int[/tex](y(sec[tex]\Theta[/tex])^2d[tex]\Theta[/tex])/ (y^3(sec[tex]\Theta[/tex])^3)
    and gives 2kqy[tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\int[/tex](cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]) d[tex]\Theta[/tex]
    ............. ans= kqQ/ y[tex]\sqrt{y^2 + (L/2)^2}[/tex]

Anyways, my question is, without using the integral table, how do people actually move on to that next step?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Get rid of those angles! You should have an expression for dF in terms of x & y (I use x as the coordinate of the line charge element):
    [tex]dF = \frac{kq\lambda}{(y^2 + x^2)}\cos\theta \; dx = \frac{kq \lambda x}{(y^2 + x^2)^{3/2}} \; dx[/tex]

You should have no problem integrating this without a table.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?