Calculating Speed of Rotating Disks and Hoops Using Uniform Solid Disk Equations

In summary, a uniform solid disk and hoop of radius R and mass M are released from rest and free to rotate on a frictionless pivot. The speed of the center of mass when the disk reaches the dashed position is \sqrt{}4gR/3, while the speed of the lowest point in the same position is giving some issues. For the hoop, the same method can be used but with the moment of inertia for the hoop, resulting in a speed of \sqrt{}2gR.
aborder

Homework Statement

A uniform solid disk of radius R and mass M is free to rotate on a frictionless pivot through a point on its rim (see figure below). The disk is released from rest in the position shown by the copper-colored circle.
10-p-053.gif

(a) What is the speed of its center of mass when the disk reaches the position indicated by the dashed circle? (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g.)

(b) What is the speed of the lowest point on the disk in the dashed position? (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g.)

(c) Repeat part (a) using a uniform hoop of mass M. (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g.)

Homework Equations

KEf + Uf = KEi + Ui
1/2Iω2
Impulse for disk = 1/3MR2
Vcm = Rω
KE = 1/2MV2
U = mgR

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A I got the right answer of [itex]\sqrt{}4gR/3[/itex]

Part B is giving me some issues and I suppose I am not sure where to go with it.

Part C I figured I could use the same method as part A, but for some reason, I get [itex]\sqrt{}2gR[/itex] and that is no good.

Physics news on Phys.org
All you have to do for the hoop is to use the same method as you did for the disc but with the moment of inertia for the hoop. If you show your work one can help you better.

1. What is the equation for the moment of inertia of a uniform solid disk?

The equation for the moment of inertia of a uniform solid disk is given by I = (1/2) * m * r^2, where m is the mass of the disk and r is the radius.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a uniform solid disk different from that of a hollow disk?

The moment of inertia of a uniform solid disk is greater than that of a hollow disk with the same mass and radius. This is because all of the mass of a solid disk is located at a greater distance from the axis of rotation, resulting in a larger moment of inertia.

3. Can the moment of inertia of a uniform solid disk change?

The moment of inertia of a uniform solid disk will not change unless the mass or radius of the disk is altered. This is because the moment of inertia is a physical property of the object and is independent of its rotation.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a uniform solid disk affect its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of a uniform solid disk affects its rotational motion by determining how much torque is required to change its angular velocity. A larger moment of inertia means a greater amount of torque is needed to cause the same change in angular velocity.

5. Are there any real-world applications of uniform solid disk equations?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of uniform solid disk equations, such as calculating the moment of inertia of a spinning top or a bicycle wheel. It is also used in engineering and physics to understand and design rotating machinery and structures.