Uniformely magnetised cylinder

• Thread starter Feynmanfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinder
In summary, the conversation is about a magnetostatics problem involving a uniformly magnetised finite cylinder and two different methods being used to find B and H along the axis. The concept of "magnetic charges" is brought up and compared to the problem of a finite solenoid. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use the analogy of electric charges and dielectric polarization to understand magnetic dipoles as combinations of two magnetic monopoles.
Feynmanfan
Dear friends,

I'm having trouble with this magnetostatics problem.

I have a uniformely magnetised finite cylinder and I'm asked to find B and H along the axis, using two different methods to get the correct answer.I believe the first one is considering magnetisation currents and the other one "magnetic charges".

I don't know if I'm doing it right when I compare this problem to the one of the finite solenoid (is it the same). What are magnetic charges?

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Just give me a hint, please.

Feynmanfan said:
Dear friends,

I'm having trouble with this magnetostatics problem.

I have a uniformely magnetised finite cylinder and I'm asked to find B and H along the axis, using two different methods to get the correct answer.I believe the first one is considering magnetisation currents and the other one "magnetic charges".

I don't know if I'm doing it right when I compare this problem to the one of the finite solenoid (is it the same). What are magnetic charges?

Thanks for your help

I assume "magnetic charges" is referring to the magnetic monolpole. Not sure what you will do with it, but by analogy to electric charges and polarization of dielectrics there should be a representation of magnetic dipoles as combinations of two magnetic monopoles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_monopole

1. What is a uniformly magnetised cylinder?

A uniformly magnetised cylinder is a cylindrical object that has a consistent and evenly distributed magnetic field throughout its entire surface. This means that the strength and direction of the magnetic field is the same at all points on the cylinder.

2. How is a uniformly magnetised cylinder created?

A uniformly magnetised cylinder can be created by exposing a non-magnetic cylinder to a strong external magnetic field. This will cause the magnetic domains within the cylinder to align in the same direction, creating a uniform magnetic field.

3. What are the properties of a uniformly magnetised cylinder?

A uniformly magnetised cylinder has a consistent and evenly distributed magnetic field, with a north and south pole on opposite ends of the cylinder. It also exhibits magnetic dipole moment, which is the measure of the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How is the magnetic field strength of a uniformly magnetised cylinder calculated?

The magnetic field strength of a uniformly magnetised cylinder can be calculated using the formula B = μ₀M, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, and M is the magnetic dipole moment of the cylinder.

5. What are the applications of a uniformly magnetised cylinder?

A uniformly magnetised cylinder has various applications such as in magnetic sensors, magnetic storage devices, and in motors and generators. It can also be used in medical imaging and particle accelerators.