Uniformly accelerated motion- a weird kangaroo prob

In summary, the Kangaroo can jump straight up 2.5 meters and its takeoff speed is unknown, but if you use the equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad, you can calculate that the Jag's speed was 290 m when the brakes were applied.
bjr_jyd15
Uniformly accelerated motion-- a weird kangaroo prob

Ok, I have this simple Question:

A kangaroo can jump straight up 2.5 m -- what is its takeoff speed?
How can I solve that given just one variable. Well, I know that Vi=0, right?

Also, if you anyone can help me try to solve this one?:

A car in an auto accident left skid marks 290 m long. Assuming an average acceleration of -3.9 m/s/s (that is, -0.4 g), calculate the Jag's speed when the brakes locked.

I know acceleration and scalar distance, but I don't know anything about the initial speed and such. So how can I choose a formula?

Please Help.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For first problem, review Free Fall.

For the second problem, what happens when you apply the brakes?

When the brakes applied, the car slows, right? And skids 290 m. I'm not sure where to go from there :confused:

This is how i believe the question is solved:
Vi=?
Vf=0m/s
a=-3.9m/s^2
t=X
d=290 m

use thsi formula
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad

I'm an Aussie, so I should be able to help with the Kangaroo question! :biggrin:

First off, you have more than one variable.

(Assuming that the kangaroo is on the Earth) The acceleration can be given by g. (ie use -9.8 m/s/s)

The displacement is 2.5m, and Vf = 0 (at the top of the jump, the kangaroo's velocity is zero).

Vi is the unknown, that you want to calculate.

I believe the constant acceleration formula you might need is:

[tex] v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2as[/tex]

where Vf and Vi are the final and initial velocities respectively.
a is the acceleration
s is the displacement

also don't forget the direction of things. (if you use +2.5 for the displacement, you MUST use -9.8 for the acceleration)

thanks

Great, thanks Tyco and punjabi. I got the problems, and I actually understand them. :biggrin:

1. What is uniformly accelerated motion?

Uniformly accelerated motion refers to an object's motion when it is moving with a constant acceleration. This means that the object's velocity is changing at a constant rate.

2. How is uniformly accelerated motion different from constant motion?

In uniformly accelerated motion, the acceleration of the object is constant, whereas in constant motion, the velocity of the object is constant. This means that in uniformly accelerated motion, the object's speed is changing, while in constant motion, the object's speed remains the same.

3. What is the formula for calculating uniformly accelerated motion?

The formula for calculating uniformly accelerated motion is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time taken.

4. What is the role of acceleration in uniformly accelerated motion?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes in uniformly accelerated motion. It determines how quickly or slowly an object's speed is changing.

5. How can we apply the concept of uniformly accelerated motion to real-life situations?

Uniformly accelerated motion is commonly observed in everyday scenarios, such as a car accelerating from a stop sign or a ball rolling down a hill. It is also used in physics to study the motion of objects in freefall or in projectile motion.