Uniformly accelerated motion

In summary, a human throws a rock off of a bridge that is 30 meters above the water and it takes 3 seconds for the rock to fall back down to the water. The question is asking for the initial velocity of the rock when it left the person's hand. Using the kinematic equation h = -vo*t + 1/2*g*t^2, where h is the displacement, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is time, we can find the velocity. After solving for the initial velocity, it was found to be 4.7 m/s. However, it is important to note that insults and profanity are not allowed on this platform and it is expected that users attempt to solve the

who helped to invent calculus

• newton

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • eintstein

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
dantheman3199

Homework Statement

A human throws a rock off of a bridge that is 30 meters above the water. It takes 3 seconds from the time the human throws the rock up in the air and falls all the way back down to the water. What is the initial velocity of the rock leaving the persons hand?

Homework Equations

i have know idea

The Attempt at a Solution

idk. my physics teacher gave me this problem today at school cause he believes me to be one of his better students. he told me to come home and attempt it because he found this problem in an old physics book today and could not figure it out. please help if possible

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here the displacement of the rock is 30 m.
The displacement and acceleration due to gravity are in the same direction but the velocity is in the opposite direction.
Use the kinematic equation h = -vo*t + 1/2*g*t^2 and find velocity.

Welcome to PF dantheman3199.

Please, in the future, make some attempt, no matter how small, at solving a problem before seeking help.

As you're aware, this is a problem in uniformly accelerated motion. That automatically implies several equations that could be relevant :smile:

p.s. Calculus was developed about 200 years before Einstein was born.

well i had no idea how to attempt it. i tried for like an hour on scratch paper then found this. so if you know how to do the problem then be my guest

hey rl.bhat if you could help me out with solving this it would be good. i don't have enough experience in physics to know what h would be?

dantheman3199 said:
hey rl.bhat if you could help me out with solving this it would be good. i don't have enough experience in physics to know what h would be?
rl.bhat is helping you, but he isn't going to do your homework for you.

What level of education are you at?

Im in twelvth grade in high school and i have only been taking physics for 3 weeks. and i guess i put this problem in the wrong folder cause its not homework. my teacher couldn't figure out how to do it so he asked me to try

dantheman3199 said:
Im in twelvth grade in high school and i have only been taking physics for 3 weeks. and i guess i put this problem in the wrong folder cause its not homework. my teacher couldn't figure out how to do it so he asked me to try
You're in twelfth grade and you have only just started studying Physics? So, you're 18 years old and have never studied Physics until three weeks ago?

And I'm sorry, but I don't believe that your 12th grade Physics teacher cannot solve this problem. Furthermore, even if your teacher couldn't solve this problem, I don't think that they would give it to one of their students to solve.

ok no << profane insult removed by berkeman >>im 17. and clearly it doesn't matter if you don't believe me. don't write **** down on my thread if your not going to help out.

dantheman3199 said:
and clearly it doesn't matter if you don't believe me. don't write **** down on my thread if your not going to help out.
Question: what made you choose this specific title for this thread?

what?

is the intial velocity on my problem 4.7 m/sec?
that is what i ended up getting

dantheman3199 said:
what?
Why did you choose the title "Uniformaly accelerated motion"?

dantheman3199 said:
ok no << profane insult removed by berkeman >>im 17. and clearly it doesn't matter if you don't believe me. don't write **** down on my thread if your not going to help out.

Insults are not allowed here.

We will not solve your schoolwork problem for you here. You must do it yourself. We can give you hints (as has already been done in this thread), but you must do your schoolwork for yourself.

As already mentioned, you should use the kinematic equations of motion for a constant acceleration field (like gravity). Here is some further reading that you can do to help you figure out how to solve this class of problems:

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/Class/1DKin/U1L6a.html

ok thanks berkeman. i got 4.7m/sec as intial velocity. could you confirm that?

dantheman3199 said:
ok thanks berkeman. i got 4.7m/sec as intial velocity. could you confirm that?

I'd be happy to. Could you please show the equation that you used, and show the numbers plugged in? Thanks.

h = -vo*t + 1/2*g*t^2and i plugged 30 meters in for h. plugged 9.8m/sec^2 for g. and 3 seconds for time

1. What is uniformly accelerated motion?

Uniformly accelerated motion is a type of motion where an object moves with a constant acceleration, meaning its velocity changes by the same amount over equal time intervals.

2. How is uniformly accelerated motion different from uniformly constant motion?

In uniformly constant motion, an object moves with a constant velocity, meaning its speed and direction do not change. In uniformly accelerated motion, the object's velocity changes by a constant amount over time.

3. What is the equation for calculating displacement in uniformly accelerated motion?

The equation for calculating displacement in uniformly accelerated motion is: d = ut + 1/2at2, where d is the displacement, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

4. How does the acceleration affect the motion of an object in uniformly accelerated motion?

The acceleration determines how quickly an object's velocity changes. The higher the acceleration, the faster the object's velocity will change, resulting in a larger displacement in a given amount of time.

5. Can an object have a negative acceleration in uniformly accelerated motion?

Yes, an object can have a negative acceleration in uniformly accelerated motion. A negative acceleration means the object is slowing down, while a positive acceleration means the object is speeding up.