1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniformly Charged Cylinder - Potential at distance d?

1. Oct 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a uniformly charged solid cylinder of radius R, length L and charge density ρ. Find the
    potential at a distance d (> L/2) from the centre of the object, along the axis of the cylinder.

2. Relevant equations
    V=∫kdq/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    For me, it makes most sense to express this integral in cylindrical coordinates, seeing as the object is a cylinder. Also, since the axis of which the cylinder is on is not specified. I chose the z axis on a (x,y,z).

-stuff used for integration, respectively.
    s[0,R]
    Ø[0,2π]
    z[0,L]

dq=sdsdØdz

I'm not too good at expressing notation on the computer so this is the basics of what i tried:

1st attempt: I know V(z)=∫E.dl , so, I tried to solve for E by using
    E=∫kdq/r^2
    E=∫∫∫(kρ/z^2)sdsdØdz

after I finished this integral, I lost confidence when doing the integral for V(z) because It didn't seem right to integrate over the same limits of integrations seeing as dl would be expressed as sdsdØdz - please tell me if i'm wrong.

2nd attempt: I just started with V=∫kdq/r.
    V=∫∫∫(kρ/z)sdsdØdz
    giving me
    V(z)=kρπ*ln(z)*R^2

- I'm not sure which method is correct, if either. Help would be greatly appreciated.
    - Also, since were just looking for the function with respect to a distance and because of the way the question was stated, I felt that it was okay to express r as just z rather than (L/2 + z)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted