1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniformly charged ring

1. Jun 1, 2013 #1
    hi every one on an exercise on book we ask us to find the electrical field for a uniformly charged ring where we gonna find : E=kqz/(z2+R2)3/2
    then we have to derivate it wth respect to z and we find : dE/dz=kq*(R2+2z2)/(z2+R2)5/2
    so my question is how do we get this derivation ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

You will have show us what you have *tried* thus far. Where did you get stuck in the derivation when you tried it yourself? Also note that the given expression is only the electric field produced by the uniformly charged static ring at points along its symmetry axis (in case you didn't know already).

4. Jun 1, 2013 #3
    well me i found : dE/dz=qk[ (z2+R2)3/2-3z2(z2+R2)-1/2 ]/(z2+R2)3
    i just applied the rule that i know but in the book it seems that they did some simplification so my question is how they did this

5. Jun 1, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Oh are you only interested in finding the derivative? Do you already know how to get the electric field itself?

6. Jun 1, 2013 #5
    yes that's it

7. Jun 1, 2013 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Are you sure it wasn't ##R^2 - 2z^2## as opposed to ##R^2 + 2z^2## in the numerator of the final answer?

8. Jun 1, 2013 #7
    oh yes sorry it's R2-2z2 :shy:

9. Jun 1, 2013 #8

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Ok. Would you agree that, before doing any simplifications, the derivative comes out to ##\frac{\mathrm{d} E}{\mathrm{d} z} = \frac{kq}{(z^2 + R^2)^{3/2}} - \frac{3kqz^2}{(z^2 + R^2)^{5/2}}##? All I have done is use the product and chain rule; I haven't done any simplifications at all. Now, can you find a way to combine these two expressions?

10. Jun 1, 2013 #9
    yes it's done i get the result . thanks for your help WannabeNewton

11. Jun 1, 2013 #10

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I didn't do anything mate! It was all you :) Good luck with your studies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook