How Does Gauss's Law Apply to the Electric Field in a Uniformly Charged Slab?

• Thread starter ovoleg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charged
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a slab of insulating material with a uniform positive charge density. The task is to find the electric field between -d and d using Gauss's law. The individual presenting their solution is unsure if it is correct and wonders if the field would be zero in the interior of the slab due to the charges being at rest. Ultimately, the equation E = (|Rho|x)/Epsilon naught is suggested as a possible solution.
ovoleg
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem

A slab of insulating material has thickness 2d and is oriented so that its faces are parallel to the yz-plane and given by the planes x = d and x = -d. The y- and z dimensions of the slab are very large compared to d and may be treated as essentially infinite. The slab has a uniform positive charge density p(rho). Using Gauss's law, find the electric field between -d<x<d

This is what I did but the system states I am wrong.

pV=Qenclosed

EA=Qenclosed/epsilon

E(r^2)=(rho*r^2*2d)/epsilon

E=rho*2d/epsilon

Thanks anyone :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I also thought it might be zero since its inside the material but I am getting that as an incorrect answer as well

This is how I trully feel about this problem: This slab is composed of insulating material, and insulating material does not permit easy movement of charge through them(can we assume that they don't move at all and are at rest?). Then, if all the charges are at rest, the field(E) at every point in the interior of the material is zero. With that, when -d < x < d wouldn't the field(E) be zero since for these x values we are talking about the interior of the slab?

Anyone please :)

E=[|Rho|x]/Epsilon naught

1. What is a uniformly charged slab?

A uniformly charged slab is a two-dimensional object that has a constant charge density throughout its entire surface. This means that every point on the surface of the slab has the same amount of charge per unit area.

2. How is the electric field calculated for a uniformly charged slab?

The electric field of a uniformly charged slab can be calculated using the equation E = σ/ε, where σ is the surface charge density and ε is the permittivity of the material the slab is made of. This equation holds true for points both inside and outside of the slab.

3. How does the electric field vary with distance from a uniformly charged slab?

The electric field from a uniformly charged slab decreases with distance from the slab according to an inverse square law. This means that as the distance from the slab doubles, the electric field strength decreases by a factor of four.

4. How does the electric potential vary with distance from a uniformly charged slab?

The electric potential from a uniformly charged slab also follows an inverse square law, similar to the electric field. However, the electric potential decreases at a faster rate than the electric field as the distance from the slab increases.

5. Can the electric field inside a uniformly charged slab be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the electric field to be zero inside a uniformly charged slab. This occurs at the exact center of the slab, where the electric field contributions from all sides cancel out. However, the electric field is never zero at any point outside of the slab.